Another good reason NEVER to go back to windows again...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Another good reason NEVER to go back to windows again...

Postby jdtate101 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:40 pm

Shocking DRM tactics by Sony...so glad I'm on linux if this is the way things are going:

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/1 ... ights.html
Ubuntu Edgy & Beryl on:

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

RE: Another good reason NEVER to go back to windows again...

Postby Lejon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:03 pm

eew
I am the one you thought I was! Just not the way, you expected...
Lejon
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:57 pm

Nasty stuff.. can't wait to hear about the lawsuit any time soon :lol:
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:01 pm

Hmmm, once again an example of copyright laws being misused. I cant believe they had the cheek to pur somethign about reverse engineeering etc. and not mention exactly what gets installed. I stopped using Windoze well before Media Player had DRM enabled on it, but once I found out about that I recommended to everyone I know that Linux or even mac would be a better option. I have similar issues with region protection on DVDs, it doesnt matter where you bought it, you paid for it and why should you have to pay out for a multiregion dvd player? luckily most dvd players can be made multiregion just by knowing the right keys to press on the remote. You arent modifying the unit so its legal!

Interesting that this story should appear on this forum so soon after Finland passed its law on DRM
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:23 pm

I make it a point to rip and distribute any cd's I buy that contain DRM. I don't do that with DRM free disks. I guess I just like to piss them off :wink: Maybe if enough people did this they would get the point and stop distributing this crap :)

Also I have been thinking that emailing any artists/bands that have DRM enabled disks on the market and telling them that you will not be buying their CD *because* of the DRM it contains would be a good idea. That wouldn't really work for me, most of the people I listen to have been dead for years, however, it may work well for people who listen to all the latest pop/rock/hiphop music?

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:57 pm

Also I have been thinking that emailing any artists/bands that have DRM enabled disks on the market and telling them that you will not be buying their CD *because* of the DRM it contains would be a good idea.

You know I think you have just hit on a very good point, what we need to do is get a large amount of people to all do this and then hopefully someone somewhere will take notice. If I get any DVDs with Adverts I cant skip, or a CD that turns out to be DRM protected it goes directly back to the shop. Certain stores are getting kinda upset with me about it because apparantly I may be copying the CD and bringing it back. What is the point in having DRM if thats still a risk??

If anyone can find a list of email addresses for bands or record companies that have DRM enabled CDs I would be quite happy to send each of them an email or two. At the end of the day DRM doesnt help because even if they can make it copy proof all you do is attach your wave out to your line in on your Sound card, play the cd and record in another program. Why waste peoples tiem with DRM when its that easy????
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 am

whoa, hold the show... this just out on slashdot! Haven't read the article yet, just about to.

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:14 am

Hmmmm would seem that somebody has probably threatened legal action, or that SOny are trying to preempt legal action. It does beg the question though, if its not at all malicous then a) why have so many people had problems and b) why bother to cloak it?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am

Ok this is slightly scary, from the RIAA site, all the record companies that employ DRM on at least some of their products

http://www.riaa.com/about/members/default.asp :?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:36 am

I forgot about this link http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/

You can enter the name of an artist or label and see if they are affilated with the RIAA. Try it out, it's amazing just how much of the music industry is involved!

I tried it with Robert Johnson, dead over 50 years yet it seems SONY owns the rights to his music... Like he cares if I download it instead! SONY didn't even exist till 8 years after his death! It makes me sick that people will still try to profit off others work long after they are gone :(

this reminds me of a good quote -

Woody Guthrie wrote:This song is Copyrighted in U.S., under Seal of Copyright # 154085, for a period of 28 years, and anybody caught singin it without our permission, will be mighty good friends of ourn, cause we don't give a dern. Publish it. Write it. Sing it. Swing to it. Yodel it. We wrote it, that's all we wanted to do. -- Woody Guthrie

^^^^^
Like open source music isn't it :D
Flea
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:30 am

alloydog
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:36 am

Hmmmm no evidence of viruses being written to exploit that huh? well if the files are that well cloaked then it is unlikely there would be any evidence until the files are uncloaked. With it in the news as much as it is now, someone somewhere has probably already started writing an exploit for it.
I've never really understood this copy protection stuff anyway because its still possible to rip the files, so if you make too many copies and the software tires to stop you its obvious what you are going to do.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:54 am

Maybe I'm out the loop here, but I've never understood why media companies are going to such extraordinary lengths for absolutely nothing. No matter how much effort they put into non-copyable CDs, it just takes a 99p cable from Maplin to route a CD player's headphone jack to the mic-in on your sound card. And really, can anyone tell the difference between a direct CD rip and something copied via a cable? (I listen to harpsichord music, and I've never noticed it!) Piracy is wrong, but there's no way they can stop people making personal copies for their portable music players, Shirley?

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:02 pm

The problem with ripping in that way is twofold, 1) You need a full duplex sound card, less of an issue nowadays as most soundcards are, 2) the quality is poorer unless you have the expertise to do it properly, although you probalby don't notice it conscoiusly you quite often get a range of other sounds recorded, interference from the Processors fan is the main one but there are various others. However with the right program you can remove these. To be honest the only people who would notice these sounds are Music Technicians, so much like the poor quality of MP3 most people wouldnt be bothered by it generally.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:05 pm

Yeah, I used to record music from Mega Drive games (the original MD with the headphone jack!) into the PC via the sound card. I never noticed any interference -- although admittedly, it was early '90s console sound technology. That didn't stop Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack to Streets of Rage II being eargasmically brilliant though.

Oh no! A tangent! Again.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion