New Windows 8 Laptop & Linux Install

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Windows 8 Laptop & Linux Install

Postby graemecollin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Just picked up a new laptop, with Windows 8 pre-installed. Obviously, this has to go, in favour of something more Linux-flavoured. However, I want to retain a fallback route, if necessary.

Is it possible to generate the OS install disks (not recovery disks that are going to be relying on asubsequently non-existant recovery partition) and without accepting the EULA? If so, how? Obviously, I'm trying to avoid having to go anywhere Win8 to do anything.

Another potential option I can see would be to take an image of the disk, including all partitions, as it stands right now? Kinda like ghosting the drive (albeit onto a significantly smaller drive - I only need the data, not the free space backing up). Is there a Linux distro, that I can boot from CD/DVD/flash-drive that can do this for me?

Many thanks.

-Graeme.
graemecollin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:24 pm

http://partedmagic.com
Should have all the tools you need.
However the UEFI BIOS might make it less than straightforward.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Your problem is the UEFI BIOS; a lot depends on whether the OEM has let you have the key to enable even to run a Live CD to do anything let alone install Linux.

Maybe worth trying a distro that comes with a solution to the UEFI BIOS - I believe Ubuntu is supposed to.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:55 am

You can turn secure boot off, I had to to boot my new Win8 laptop from a live disk.

I just backed up the whole drive with dd

Code: Select all
dd if=/dev/sda bs=1g | gzip >/external/drive/sda.img.gz
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!