Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debian 6 wireless connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Debian 6 wireless connection Reply with quote

Hello,

I have Debian 6 and Ubuntu12.04 on one of my machines with the recommended drivers loaded for my wireless card.

Ubuntu12.04 hears my upstairs wireless router but Debian 6 doesn't Sad

Would the version of the driver cause the Debian 6 to be "deaf" ?

I should say this is an old b43 card.

Any thoughts ???

Cheers..
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your wireless adaptor show up in the output of

Code:
ifconfig -a

scooter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH yes !! ( as Churchill would say ! )

shows up with ifconfig -a , hears my other wireless hub and also the neighbours so my guess is the " problem " is in the version of the driver.

Would adding the Ubuntu repository to the Debian version allow me to download the Ubuntu driver and install it in Debian ??

Probably not a good idea, different kernel and all that.

Just thinking out loud Wink
scooter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the 64bit version of Debian that perhaps doesn't like the driver ??

My 12.04 is 32 bit..
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
shows up with ifconfig -a , hears my other wireless hub and also the neighbours so my guess is the " problem " is in the version of the driver.

You're getting ahead of yourself. If the wireless interface is present, and you mention that you can detect nearby wireless networks (one of which is yours), then you should proceed with trying to connect.

Are you using a network manager?

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
scooter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, using NetworkManager and have tried connection to no avail..

The difference I see between the two drivers ( 12.04 and Debian 6 ) is the firmware :
( b43/ucode9.fw + 5.fw + 16_mino.fw + 15.fw + 14.fw + 13.fw + 11.fw for 12.04 and FW13 for Debian 6 ).

So......... I guess I'll need to do without my WiFi connection, at least for the moment with Debian 6 Crying or Very sad

Cheers..
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t does dmesg say? Maybe you just need to install the correct firmware.

It won't do any hard to try the firmware files from the working box on the non-working one.
SiriusHardware

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought: (A few actually)

-Did you set up a MAC restricted access list on your router at some point in the past? If so, obviously you'll need to add the Debian PC's wireless MAC address to the 'allowed' list.

-Is your router on channel 12 or 13 by any chance? Historically, the official wi-fi Spectrum in the USA only seems to have included channels 01-11, whereas we here have the additional 12 and 13.

Since the USA is the largest technology market in the world a significant amount of wi-fi enabled stuff is configured by default for that market, not ours, and may not work on wifi channels 12 and 13. When you install a wi-fi card under Windows the manufacturer supplied installer usually asks you for the region the card is being used in and resets the channel range accordingly. Unfortunately, they don't tend to supply such friendly installers for Linux.

I have personally encountered a good example of this syndrome: The original grey single-antenna wireless 'g' adaptor for my Xbox 360 can not see any network on channels 12 or 13 - it is an American designed product designed originally for the USA market, and the version sold to the wider world appears to be exactly the same 11-channel unit. It, or my example at least, can not see any network on channel 12 or 13.

Finally, a re-iteration of some useful advice I originally received in this forum - if the router at the heart of this problem is set to mixed WPA / WPA2 encryption mode, go into the router's settings and try setting it to WPA2 only - that solved a WPA2 connection problem for me on at least one subsequent occasion.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: