Clearing the recycle bin

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Clearing the recycle bin

Postby heiowge » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:58 pm

I copied a file over to my brother's flash drive, but deleted a few files for him while I was there. He was about to leave when I realised my recycle bin couldn't be emptied. I collared him and reinserted the stick and the bin cleared no problem.

So... I'm left with the question of what do I do if he had left?

The recycle bin full icon keeps displaying until I clear it with the connected device there. If I remove the device, is there an easy way of clearing the bin so it appears empty again if I don't have the device to hand and what impact will that have on the device if I reattach it?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:32 pm

When I have done something similar in the past, I've just dumped an odd file in there and then emptied the bin, this led to the empty bin icon being restored. This used to work under KDE anyway.
I'm not sure what would happen if you reinserted the drive some time later, I expect the dumped file would still be in the hidden .Trash folder, but I don't expect your desktop icon would change unless you used it again.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Help!