Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Eclipse ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuarte9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Which Eclipse ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to use Eclipse for software development and testing. Specifically UML, C/C++ and Java, as well as unit testing of the latter two. As I'm using OpenSUSE 12.2, I used YAST/Software/Software Management. This installed the following :-

ecj, ecj-bootstrap, eclipse-swt

However, nothing has shown up in the main-launcher/Applications/Development menus. I tried using (command not found) "cnf eclipse" in a terminal which resulted in "eclipse: command not found".

I then visited eclipse.org and found that there are many different versions, namely Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo and Juno.

As my PC is based on an Intel Pentium 4 running OpenSUSE 12.2, I understand that I need a Linux 32-bit version. However, other than that, this wide selection has left me confused.

Could some kind soul please point me in the direction of which version of eclipse I should install ?

Could you also please advise which plugins I need ? I know that I need cdt for C/C++ and jdt for Java. What plugins do I need for UML, and for unit testing of C/C++ & Java ? Will all these plugins be found on eclipse.org or will I need to source some of them from other locations ?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give with this.

Stuart
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The openSUSE package is from the eclipse site and only gives you the basic Java compiler; you need to download the plugins for other languages.

Have you tried

ecj

in the konsole?
stuarte9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Typing ecj on its own into a console brought up a list of usage options. This I understand from previous experience to be normal "behaviour".

As you will see from my original posting, I'm trying to find out which "dialect"/generation of Eclipse is the correct and most up-to-date one for my Intel Pentium 4/OpenSUSE 12.2 system. I'm "talking" here about the full GUI based framework.

As I said in my previous posting, on the Eclipse website there are several "dialects" of Eclipse (the aforementioned Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo and Juno [please see previous posting]). This together with the fact that there are a number of packages for each "dialect" has left me somewhat confused as to which is the correct Linux 32-bit "dialect"/package and set of plugins for my PC.

I hope this helps clarify what it is that I'm trying to do (please see previous posting).

Best regards,

Stuart
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is an openSUSE specific question, why not visit the Programming forum at http://forums.opensuse.org?
stuarte9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning John,

That's a great Idea. I'll do that right away.

Thanks very much for the help. Smile

Best regards,

Stuart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: