Which Eclipse ?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Which Eclipse ?

Postby stuarte9 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:22 pm

Hi,

I want to use Eclipse for software development and testing. Specifically UML, C/C++ and Java, as well as unit testing of the latter two. As I'm using OpenSUSE 12.2, I used YAST/Software/Software Management. This installed the following :-

ecj, ecj-bootstrap, eclipse-swt

However, nothing has shown up in the main-launcher/Applications/Development menus. I tried using (command not found) "cnf eclipse" in a terminal which resulted in "eclipse: command not found".

I then visited eclipse.org and found that there are many different versions, namely Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo and Juno.

As my PC is based on an Intel Pentium 4 running OpenSUSE 12.2, I understand that I need a Linux 32-bit version. However, other than that, this wide selection has left me confused.

Could some kind soul please point me in the direction of which version of eclipse I should install ?

Could you also please advise which plugins I need ? I know that I need cdt for C/C++ and jdt for Java. What plugins do I need for UML, and for unit testing of C/C++ & Java ? Will all these plugins be found on eclipse.org or will I need to source some of them from other locations ?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give with this.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby johnhudson » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:35 pm

The openSUSE package is from the eclipse site and only gives you the basic Java compiler; you need to download the plugins for other languages.

Have you tried

ecj

in the konsole?
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the reply.

Typing ecj on its own into a console brought up a list of usage options. This I understand from previous experience to be normal "behaviour".

As you will see from my original posting, I'm trying to find out which "dialect"/generation of Eclipse is the correct and most up-to-date one for my Intel Pentium 4/OpenSUSE 12.2 system. I'm "talking" here about the full GUI based framework.

As I said in my previous posting, on the Eclipse website there are several "dialects" of Eclipse (the aforementioned Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo and Juno [please see previous posting]). This together with the fact that there are a number of packages for each "dialect" has left me somewhat confused as to which is the correct Linux 32-bit "dialect"/package and set of plugins for my PC.

I hope this helps clarify what it is that I'm trying to do (please see previous posting).

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby johnhudson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:30 pm

As this is an openSUSE specific question, why not visit the Programming forum at http://forums.opensuse.org?
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 am

Good morning John,

That's a great Idea. I'll do that right away.

Thanks very much for the help. :-)

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Return to Help!