Evolution: SMTP authentication required?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Evolution: SMTP authentication required?

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:09 pm

I'm using Mint 14 with Evolution.

I can receive emails no problem but cannot send any.

When I attempt to send an email an error message appears telling me that a simple smtp authentication is required and to visit btyahoo.com/smtp. The address is not valid or is unavailable for some reason.

Has anyone experienced this? Can I authenticate from Evolution?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:55 pm

A number of providers now expect authenication to prevent spamming; Edit>Peferences>Mail accounts. Select your main account and the Sending email tab.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 pm

johnhudson wrote:A number of providers now expect authenication to prevent spamming; Edit>Peferences>Mail accounts. Select your main account and the Sending email tab.

What do I do in the Sending Email tab, select server requires authentication box? anything else?

It appears I can send an email but when I done a test to the other user on this laptop they didn't receive? Do I need to authorise anything in their emails?
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Assuming you are using POP and SMTP to the same server, you need to select the encryption method - that should be stated on your ISP's website - and enter the password. If you happen to use different POP and SMTP servers, you should have a password to access your ISP's SMTP server via the web - use that.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby TheWizardofOdds » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:09 am

johnhudson wrote:Assuming you are using POP and SMTP to the same server, you need to select the encryption method - that should be stated on your ISP's website - and enter the password. If you happen to use different POP and SMTP servers, you should have a password to access your ISP's SMTP server via the web - use that.

Ok thanks, I'll sort that out. POP and SMTP to same server (BT?). I imagine it'll be the password I use for the BTYahoo mail login I use when I'm not using my own PC.

Thanks.
TheWizardofOdds
LXF regular

Return to Help!