SOLVED Virtualbox host keeps rebooting?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SOLVED Virtualbox host keeps rebooting?

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi all,

I've recently bought a new PC and installed Linux Mint 64 bit. (this is my first 64bit install) I've been using Virtualbox on my old Mint 32bit PC and never had any issues.

I can create new VMs and leave Virtualbox running for hours with no issues. But whenever I try to install an operating system to a VM the host just reboots without any warning.
The first time this happened I had imported an instance of XP that I exported from Virtualbox on my old PC. It happily imported but every time I tried to update XP the host mysteriously rebooted. I typically blamed XP or thought it maybe an iffy export.
However, I have tried to install Ubuntu and the host rebooted before the guest had fully loaded.

Sadly my Googlfu skills have failed to show me the light. There are quite a few posts regarding XP guests randomly rebooting on Linux hosts.

I've had a look in /var/log but nothing stands out to me. To be honest I'm no expert at reading log files and don't really know where to start looking.

Some specs:
Linux Mint 64bit Cinnamon, 8GB RAM, Intel i5 processor
Oricle Virtualbox version 4.1.18

Any help or tips about where to start looking for errors would be appreciated.

Thanks
PP

PS. just noticed in the software manager that Virtualbox describes itself as
"X86 virtualization solution - base binaries"
Should I be using a 64bit version. There dosent seem to be one in the software manager.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 am

I had a nose around in the BIOS/UEFI thingy and needed to enable virtualisation under the processor tab.

All is now well.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Return to Help!