Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing DOS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Installing DOS Reply with quote

I am getting an old Pentium II going again, intending to install MSDOS 6.22, Windows 95 (on first HD - 545 Mb) and AntiX (on a second HD - 20Gb) in a multi-boot set-up.

I started by partitioning the first HD using cfdisk under a live Slackware CD (Antix would not work - another story), making the first 24Mb for DOS, 200Mb for Win 95, 70 Mb for shared data, and the rest as the Linux Swap. You get the idea - four primary partitons.

Then rebooting with the DOS installation floppy, it asked it it was OK to format the "C:" disk; I accepted and it got on with it. But as soon as it finished, with no by-your-leave, it started formatting the "D:" drive as well - I was not sure if this was the next partion of the first drive (sda2), or the second drive (sdb1). Control-C had no effect (!), so I switched the PC off. Fortunately there was no data on the other partitons.

There seemed to be no way to avoid this arrogant behaviour (I tried it again). I then disconnected the second hard drive (at least to save the time formatting 20Gb), rebooted, and this time it went straight into copying from the floppy onto the now formatted sda1. It never seemed to notice the other partitons on the first drive.

Yet when MSDOS 6.22 came out (1993) there were certainly other OS's around that might have been overwritten on the other drive - OS/2, and MS's own NT.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing DOS Reply with quote

Nuke wrote:
Yet when MSDOS 6.22 came out (1993) there were certainly other OS's around that might have been overwritten on the other drive - OS/2, and MS's own NT.

Which is surely why the arrogant behaviour was encouraged, if not deliberately instigated. MS have never looked favourably on dual-boot, not even for two of their own products.
oldpenguin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Suggest using 6.20 instead.

2) Use syslinux to start a floppy image.

3) I'm sure there are more experienced users here to say why.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: