Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting a user partition under /home at login

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlturriff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Mounting a user partition under /home at login Reply with quote

Hi,
On my 12.2 x86_64 machine, each user has a separate, encrypted partition that currently gets mounted at boot-up, no matter which user is going to login. I would like to have a user's partition mount at login time instead, so that the authorizations for all of the partitions do not have to be entered at boot-up.

I believe that this can be accomplished using pam-mount, but I have not been able to puzzle out the right way to do it, though I have read through the pam documentation several times.

Does anyone here know how to make this work?

Leslie
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the example pam configuration files on my setup, there is no entry to limit access to part of a filesystem.

Access control tends to be to hosts, ports, etc. rather than to partitions (which is controlled by file attributes).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be better off with a single, unencrypted, home filesystem and then use ecryptfs to encrypt the individual home directories. This is the method Ubuntu uses and each home directory is mounted when the user logs in and unmounted when they log out.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: