Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF168 Shellinabox - Port Forwarding problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMetMan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: LXF168 Shellinabox - Port Forwarding problem Reply with quote

I have setup shellinabox as per the excellent article in LXF168.
However, how can you setup port forwarding on a router to point to the correct address?
As I understand it to forward a port you would setup the router to forward <EXTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS:EXTERNAL_PORT> to <INTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS:INTERNAL_PORT> but to connect to the shellinabox server you need to address it as follows <INTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS/USERNAME> which I cannot seem to be able to do in the router.
How can I get round this? Can I use a port on the server to point to the username? If so how can I do this.
I have been using Linux for over 20 years and have used mainly Gentoo and Arch, but now rather hooked on Mint. I have Ubuntu and CentOs servers at home, so reasonably familiar with the command line!
Thanks to anyone who can help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: