LinkedIn

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LinkedIn

Postby guy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:05 pm

What's that all about, then?

Several job sites say how important it is, but all I can find is a lot of people posting their CV content in dribs and drabs across the various boxes, and a lot of "Group" based discussion threads filled with spam.

Apparently in some worlds, such as the media industry, you really are dead if you aren't on LinkedIn. But us techies?

I mean, if I were recruiting I'd not be interested in the guy's LinkedIn skills or party buddies, just their CV all in one piece and take it from there.

Oh, and a lot of folk hide their identity. So why go on a social networking site just to hide?

What am I missing?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:18 pm

Not sure. But a couple of years ago when a techie mate at work was made redundant as part of the package the company paid for him to see a "career consultant" and they told him the most useful tool in his toolbox for getting another job was LinkedIn.

I'm on it, and I see it as just another variant of facebook, but I can see that if/when I need another job everyone I've ever worked with/for will see that I'm looking and just maybe one of them might have or know of a vacancy that they could point me at.

Similarly if I was recruiting and I could see that a potential candidate used to work somewhere with someone I know it would give me a quick route to a recommendation (or otherwise).
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:09 pm

johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 am

But will they know that Iceweasel is not the default browser on Debian? ;)
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 am

It's not the default browser on Windows or OSX and that's what matters. The article talks about " browsers that did not come with the computer" and I don't think many commercially produced computers come with Iceweasel as the default browser :P

Since the browser ID also includes the OS, do you get extra points for replacing the whole OS with something open source?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Well, the address book scraper barfed on my email domain name, never mind getting to the actual host. Do I get noddy points for not being on @pirate-friendly-webmail.com?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

I deleted my account when I discovered the stolen passwords were unsalted, but perhaps I should sign up again if it's that useful.
Brian Hunter

Postby guy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Brian Hunter wrote:I deleted my account when I discovered the stolen passwords were unsalted, but perhaps I should sign up again if it's that useful.

The obvious thing to do is to sign up to pirate-friendly-webmail.com and add your suitable contacts to the address book, specially for LinkedIn to find. Of course, piratesRus.com will scrape it too, so some forethought is still needed.

I have a spare bleepy thing perfect for the job, but can I be ****ed?

Went to a jobs fair yesterday and one recruiter said that more and more are going straight to LinkedIn to check out any new candidate, so it looks as if I just might have to.

H'mm, I'll need to draw up a killer fantasy address book. Anybody got the Prime Minister's private email address?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:51 pm

you could always add me :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:14 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) (troll) wrote:you could always add me :D
paul

Only if you include nightmare under the category of fantasy. :shock:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:23 pm

So you have nightmares about your fantasies about me :shock:
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby normanHLinux » Mon May 13, 2013 10:58 am

"Well, the address book scraper barfed on my email domain name, never mind getting to the actual host. Do I get noddy points for not being on @pirate-friendly-webmail.com?"

Yeah, weird bloody site! I was proposed by a friend and tried to join. Asks me for my email address and complains that it does 'not support that webmail provider'. 0x46 you I thought, and sent a complaint to their support with an offer to fix the problem of braindead email validation. Took them 2 weeks to get back to me (during which time I received auto-generated emails to the address that they apparently rejected) and ask for a screenprint of the issue, despite original mail giving detailed explanation. I sent one and pointed out that it was unnecessary as they could just add a well-formed email address and see the problem. Eventually they explained that this email address was wanted so that they could harvest my contacts. ox46 them. It does not mention this on the page - a possible breach of data protection rules? Still asks for my email anytime I connect (rarely) and still rejects it.

<irony>in middle of typing this I received an email from Linkedin with short descriotions of jobs and links - only the links were missing!</irony>
If at first you don't succeed, give someone else a go
normanHLinux

Postby mm tylor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:14 pm

In my opinion LinkedIn is the best site to promote a business and services. It ois good social bookmarking site that helps to grow your business and increase traffic for your website.
mm tylor

Postby guy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm

mm tylor wrote:In my opinion LinkedIn is the best site to promote a business and services. It ois good social bookmarking site that helps to grow your business and increase traffic for your website.

I've noticed a lot of spammers agree with that sentiment. :(
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 pm

mm tylor wrote:In my opinion LinkedIn is the best site to promote a business and services. It ois good social bookmarking site that helps to grow your business and increase traffic for your website.

Well,in my opinion , it's facebook for fat old businessmen :P
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic