Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any dnsmasq experts out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Any dnsmasq experts out there? Reply with quote

I've (finally) got my combined server/nas up on my local network. Its running SMS, and provides file storage and DNS/DHCP services. Once I work my way through the config for CUPS and Samba, it should also be my print server.

However, I've hit a problem. Machines on my network are getting DNS services both for the local network and the internet. I've been able to ssh from my laptop to the desktop using the desktop machine's name. But I'm unable to access any of the services on the SMS machine by name. I can ping it by name, but I can't SSH to it, mount NFS shares, or access the web server other than by IP.

I suspect I've got something incorrectly set in my dnsmasq config, but having looked through it several times, I've not managed to find it so far.

dnsmasq.conf is as below:

Code:
domain-needed
bogus-priv

resolv-file=/etc/nameserver.list
local=/ibmpeers.net/
domain=ibmpeers.net
dhcp-range=192.168.1.100,192.168.1.150,12h

dhcp-host=00:01:d2:04:0b:d8,openwrt,192.168.1.2
dhcp-host=00:14:BF:70:9B:36,unslung,192.168.1.77

dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.1.1

resolv.conf has only "nameserver 127.0.0.1" and the nameserver.list specified in the dnsmasq.conf is as below:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
domain=ibmpeers.net

So, is there enough information in this for anyone to spot my silly mistake? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I best troubleshoot the problem?

Paul.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nameserver is not a valid parameter for dnsmasq, you should be using server. However, I generally keep it simple and leave this out altogether and put the router's address is resolv.conf, as the router caches external address lookups anyway.
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
nameserver is not a valid parameter for dnsmasq, you should be using server. However, I generally keep it simple and leave this out altogether and put the router's address is resolv.conf, as the router caches external address lookups anyway.

Thanks nelz. I'd missed the server instead of nameserver in my extra file.

Seem to have it working now, though I'm not sure why the change is required - the problem seems to have been in /etc/hosts.

I've changed it to read

Code:
192.168.1.5      sms.ibmpeers.net sms

instead of the loopback address. Now its working - I can ssh into it by name, and also open the default sms web pages.

After several years of running Amahi with its bind dns server, dnsmasq is wonderfully quick on lookups, let alone once things are cached.

Smile Now I need to move the box and sort out the printer....

Thanks again.

Paul.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: