Wireless PCI Adapter

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless PCI Adapter

Postby Crispy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi all,

I recently bought myself a new desktop and need a wireless card. I was planning on getting a PCI adapter however I don't really know anything about wireless adapters. So I was wondering if anyone would be able to recommend a few cards? Or possibly know of any that I should stay away from? (Knowing my luck I'd buy the only one that didn't work). Preferably I would like it to be PCI rather than PCIe as I only have 1 PCIe slot.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Crispy

Postby ferrari » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:54 pm

An old post, but just in case someone comes searching - Intel, 3Com, D-link, Atheros, and Linksys generally all have reasonable driver support. There are lots of wireless hardware compatibility lists around, if you care to search. For example

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby SiriusHardware » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:52 pm

ferrari wrote:An old post, but just in case someone comes searching - Intel, 3Com, D-link, Atheros, and Linksys generally all have reasonable driver support. There are lots of wireless hardware compatibility lists around, if you care to search. For example

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/

For a more specific, current (April 2013) recommendation right here - I am using a TP-Link TL-WN851N PCI (not PCI-E) card in my Debian 6 PC with V2.6 Kernel.

It has an Atheros chipset and 'Just works' with encryption up to and including WPA2. As I write this, they are available on Amazon (and probably in other places as well). Several of the Amazon reviews specifically stated that it definitely worked under Linux - that's why I originally chose it.
SiriusHardware

Return to Hardware