WTF?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChriThor, LXF moderators

WTF?

Postby guy » Sun May 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Just lost half a day's work.

Using Libre Office Writer on my main PC, sync-ing to Dropbox. Worked on a file all morning, saving periodically as is my habit. Worked on another one all afternoon. Go back to the first one this evening and - you haven't edited it since yesterday, sir. List of recent files in LO Writer shows no trace of a misnamed file or anything like that. List of old version on Dropbox shows latest was saved yesterday. All this morining's work, >gone<. WTF?

Debian 8 + MATE if that makes any difference.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt, 4077 M*A*S*H
guy
LXF regular

Re: WTF?

Postby johnhudson » Tue May 12, 2015 9:13 pm

I recommend LyX; after first save, saves automatically and reliably thereafter. Only need to save manually thereafter at end of session. Never lost anything in 15 years.
Have you tried find or locate? I find that, whereas LyX is very reliable in keeping track of recent documents, LibreOffice is not always reliable. Just possibly, LibreOffice may have lost it but you may not have lost it.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 am

I doubt LyX is that useful for spreadsheets or presentation slides (although I have seen presentations created in Latex and rendered to PDF).

Find is a definite possibility
Code: Select all
find ~ -mtime -1

will list all files in your home directory that were modified in the past 24 hours.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Wed May 13, 2015 8:48 am

Thanks both. Yes, I did search through my PC, the attached USB stick and my dropbox. Also looked for any recently-changed files which might have inadvertently suffered a "Save As" overwrite. Nada.

My best guess is that the local file somehow got corrupted, failed to upload to Drpobox, and while my back was turned Dropbox restored it to the last good version. Older versions from the OOo days did barf on me occasionally, or of course there's the good old power glitch.

Another possibility is that I broke the habit of thirty years and in my dotage failed to click Save for a whole morning and then absently clicked-through LO's warning. Right now, a whole minute without saving makes me nervous!

Anyway, I have pretty much recreated the lost morining's work and am only thankful that my system is resilient to the dreaded BSOD that would have taken out the afternoon's work as well!
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt, 4077 M*A*S*H
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed May 13, 2015 9:10 am

If you are working on a computer, you really need frequent backups. I have my home directory on btrfs and take cron-driven snapshots every fifteen minutes. It protects against this sort of thing and, probably more importantly, against ID-ten-T errors.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby guy » Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 am

Well, that's the thing about Dropbox, it backs up your local stuff to the cleud every time you save.

Means I don't have to run a backup server, all my stuff is just there - even if I drop in on a hotel in Scotland and open up my tablet. Although I don't store stuff on the tablet, anything I edit on my Dropbox will get backed up to my home PC next time I switch it on.

Dropbox even keeps a rolling month's archive of old versions and deleted stuff, so if you do something disastrous you have a month's grace to recover it.

Failing to save in the first place excepted. But of course cron backups every fifteen minutes wouldn't protect against that either. Funnily enough, my Android tablet is pretty good at that. Even the odd system crash and restart in the "unstable-beta-test-forgot-to-tell-you" days has failed to wipe all of my currently open and unsaved work.
Last edited by guy on Thu May 14, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu May 14, 2015 8:56 am

Oh, I use Dropbox too, I just don't trust it as a backup method. And it's no use anyway when working with large files, my snapshots directory of the last two days contains several older versions of multi-GB files. Dropbox is limited to 300MB AFAIR.

We still don't know if you lost the work or Dropbox helped.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!