scanner driver needed for Samsung SCX-4100

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

scanner driver needed for Samsung SCX-4100

Postby albion » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:41 pm

I've just installed Mint 17 to dual boot with Windows 8.1 on my Lenovo G710 64-bit laptop. I've connected my Samsung SCX-4100 multifunction printer/scanner/copier by USB. The printer driver installed OK and I can print from OpenOffice Writer. But I can't find a scanner driver and I think this is an old model that Samsung are no longer supporting. I have the original installation disk and manual.

Chapter 6 of the manual is entitled 'Using Your Printer in Linux', and lists these supported distros: Redhat 7.1 and above, Mandrake 8.0 and above, SuSE 7.1 and above, Turbo Linux 7.0 and above, and Slackware 8.1 and above. It also needs this software: Linux Kernel 2.4 or higher, Glibc 2.2 or higher, CUPS and SANE.

After logging in as root I inserted the CD-ROM which is supposed to automatically run. It doesn't. I then entered the following commands in the Terminal:
#cd /mnt/cdrom/Linux
#./install.sh

Again, nothing happens. So it's not possible go install the MFP Driver.

I visited a forum which discussed this problem. Apparently Samsung still support the printer driver, but not the scanner driver. Someone suggested this solution:

It is enough to change a couple of lines in the configuration files of sane for the xerox_mfp driver:
Open a terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf
At the end of the file copy/paste these two lines, save and exit:
# Samsung SCX-4100
usb 0x04e8 0x3413
Now the same for the second file. From terminal type:
sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
Now, NOT at the end of the file as earlier, but around row 832, close to "Samsung scx-4200", add the following two rows:
# Samsung SCX-4100
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3413", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"
Save, close, and (maybe not needed) reboot. Scanner should be ready to be used.

I tried this and it didn't work. When I launch Simple Scan or Xsane I get the message 'no devices available'.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
albion

Re: scanner driver needed for Samsung SCX-4100

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:07 pm

"Didn't work" is very vague. What exactly didn't work? What was the exact error logged in the log files?

Unplug the device, reboot and re-plug it in. Make sure the file /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules is still owned by root:
Code: Select all
ls -l /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules
It should resemble something like this:
-rw-r--r-- root root /lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

Unplug the device again, then re-plug it in and issue this command:
sudo su && dmesg -tail >> dmesg.txt && chmod 644 dmesg.txt && exit
Enter your password when asked, then post the contents of the file dmesg.txt here. Use the code tags to distinguish between your message and the code/text-on-screen.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: scanner driver needed for Samsung SCX-4100

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Have a look here:

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

you need to install the samsung unified driver, apparently the 4600 model is compatible with the 4100
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!