Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cron configuration file Readynas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Cron configuration file Readynas Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a readynas nv NAS box and have set up a cron job to backup my stuff to an external hd, all works fine but I would like to tweak some cron settings but I can't find a *.conf file for cron ! any ideas where it might reside ? uname -a returns this

Linux nas 2.6.17.14ReadyNAS #1 Wed Jun 20 20:08:20 PDT 2012 padre unknown

I have a feeling it is a flavour of Debian ( from memory )
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to tweak? Most settings are set in the crontab files. See man 5 crontab

Quote:
An active line in a crontab will be either an environment setting or a cron command. An environment setting is of the form,

name = value

pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nelz, all I want to do is receive an email when the job finishes, unfortunately the Linux system on the NAS doesn't have man pages installed and I currently don't have Linux installed anywhere else

nelz wrote:
What do you want to tweak? Most settings are set in the crontab files. See man 5 crontab

Quote:
An active line in a crontab will be either an environment setting or a cron command. An environment setting is of the form,

name = value
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of site that put man pages online, such as http://linux.die.net/man/5/crontab

Cron sends an email of the job's output automatically, as long as you tell it where to send it by setting MAILTO=you@your.email at the top of the crontab. If the job gives no output on successful completion, which is usually desirable, you only want to know when something is wrong, you can call the command from a script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
yourcommand
echo "Command finished"

and have cron run that script.
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so if I edit the crontab with crontab -e and enter what you suggest I'll be good to go ? Thanks for your help

nelz wrote:
There are plenty of site that put man pages online, such as http://linux.die.net/man/5/crontab

Cron sends an email of the job's output automatically, as long as you tell it where to send it by setting MAILTO=you@your.email at the top of the crontab. If the job gives no output on successful completion, which is usually desirable, you only want to know when something is wrong, you can call the command from a script

Code:
#!/bin/sh
yourcommand
echo "Command finished"

and have cron run that script.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: