Problems with Gnome Photo Apps

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problems with Gnome Photo Apps

Postby Hopper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:06 pm

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a problem with gnome photo apps. I'm specifically talking about shotwell, gthumb and image viewer (all versions as per *buntu 13.04). The problems is that the photos don't stand up to close scrutiny when viewed within those applications eg anything in the photo with a straight edge is actually a bit jagged. It seems as though the photos are being viewed in a lower resolution than desired.

I have to add that the problem doesn't appear if the photos are viewed in gimp or in the kde app digikam (running under the mint cinnamon desktop or unity desktop). I also get the same results with different computers, one running intel graphics and the other nvidia so I can't attribute the problem to the graphics card.

These sort of niggles spoil the linux experience. Another niggle is why do the fonts in documents look so good in gnome desktops but so bad in kde desktops. I've got to the stage where i need to use a kde desktop for managing photos (don't get full functionality running digikam under cinnamon or ubuntu) and a gnome derivative desktop for documents. Its a silly situation.
Rig from 2009: Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo with onboard NVidia Geforce 9300 graphics, 4GB Ram, E7500 Dual Core Processor,
Hopper

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:50 pm

For gThumb, I notice under Edit>Preferences>Viewer(Tab), there is a setting for zoom quality. By default it is set to Low, setting it to High seems to improve things a bit.
Personally, I still prefer Geeqie (used to be called GQView) which has quite a lot of tweakability in the image viewer quality settings.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Hopper » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks for this Rhakios. I do already have mine set to high and as you say it does help a bit but still leaves the quality a bit disappointing. Whilst I like the simplicity of gnome photo apps that's not much consolation for inferior rendering of the photos.

I do quite like Digikam running under cinnamon, but the help tips are unreadable since the text is white set against a light yellow background. I think that I may need to alter the 'theme' setting by rejecting the default and clicking on configuration but nothing happens - presumably because its not installed on a full kDE setup. I'll wait until Clem releases Mint 13.04 KDE and try that. I do like Mint!
Rig from 2009: Asus P5N7A-VM Mobo with onboard NVidia Geforce 9300 graphics, 4GB Ram, E7500 Dual Core Processor,
Hopper

Return to Help!