Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This could be good news for Ubuntu users.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: This could be good news for Ubuntu users. Reply with quote

.......Still, the Seattle behemoth, now under the stewardship of chief executive Steve Ballmer, doggedly marched forward with its “software is king” mantra. It made some belated efforts to catch up, wheeling out the Surface tablet and launching a tie-up with Nokia to produce Windows-based mobiles. But its core focus remained on software. Its last great bet was on Windows 8, a radical reinvention of its iconic operating system, designed to allow people to flip easily between tablets and PCs.

It was a disaster, both in the timing and the execution. Microsoft had started courting a tablet audience too late, and simultaneously alienated its longstanding customers who were still wedded to the old Windows style

On Thursday, however, as Mr Ballmer revealed a major shake-up of the company, it became clear that its dogged faith in software had finally been shaken..... .

Does this mean that all the confusing bunting and frollicks that has ruined Ubuntu in the last couple of years will now be slung out in favour of a more rational user friendly set up as last seen in 10.Lucid.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? There are already plenty of distros that don't use Unity etc, do we need another?
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Why? There are already plenty of distros that don't use Unity etc, do we need another?

Well you have a point there.
I looked at several, including SUSE, Slackware, Red Hat and Fedora before launching myself at Ubuntu 6.06.
The transition from 6.* to 12* seems to be analogous to buying a Mercedes and having it gradually upgraded to a Ford.
But then what do I know, I was raised on Sinclair ZX81 and a black and white TV, followed by Mr Sugars first born ...and anything is better than that.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since writing the above I have just seen Ubuntu: Has it lost it? below.
Sorry about that. I seem to be treading a well worn path.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before LXF Towers gets deluged in solicitor's letters, let's credit the original quote to an article in the Daily Telegraph

This is a management reorg, not a product facelift. I suspect that we Ubuntu avoiders can sleep soundly for a while yet - unless Mark S. is so dazzled by the MS (TM) proprietary business model that he feels an unstoppable rising urge for a similar reorg. Oh for a satirical TV show and a webcam. Wink
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Before LXF Towers gets deluged in solicitor's letters, let's credit the original quote to an article in the Daily Telegraph

That's a good idea! Very Happy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: