Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Open Source/Free Lightweight uPnP Viewer (Cross-Platform)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad-Halfling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Open Source/Free Lightweight uPnP Viewer (Cross-Platform) Reply with quote

Right, I will start off by saying
"Please don't flame me"
I know this is the LXF forum, but the mag does deal with all aspects of open source software, and I figured I'd be more likely to get helpful and useful answers in here than I would on a Windows (again, please don't flame me) forum:

I have a great setup at home, with a MediaTomb server holding pics and vids with my Raspberry Pi running an XBMC setup to view them. This works great. However, at my parents I have a similar MediaTomb server set up, but their (older) PC still runs XP and I'm struggling to find a decent client viewer that runs on it. I've tried XBMC but it's really struggling to run on the older system. I'm trying to find a similar interface that can be set up with pointers to specific paths to make life easy for them, but I'm really struggling to find a lighter weight bit of software that will do this, can anyone please suggest anything.

As an addendum, I 99% sure I can't reload their system with Linux, even as a dual boot - they run some software (iTunes, and others) that doesn't play well with WINE, and they don't really have enough HDD space free to dual boot, unfortunately (otherwise I would have converted them over, long ago). Also, rather than buying an additional HDD to do this, I'll probably just buy myself a new (with the larger memory) Raspberry Pi and get them the kit for the XBMC setup, if I can't find any suitable software.

Thanks, any suggestions are much apprec.

And ....... please don't flame me, I'm a massive Linux geek, myself =8)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As what you are really looking for is a Windows client rather than cross-platform, I've moved this topic to Other OS.
Mad-Halfling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, apologies - didn't see that section
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recognise the situation, having been through the mill over it since last Xmas.

I used VLC on the XP PC, but found that the PC wouldn't cope with the modern higher definition videos.
Now I have 2 Rpi setups with RaspBMC loaded, one of which is destined for the remote location to feed the monitor (21 inch LG TV/monitor). I'll also be taking a KVM switch of suitable type to make switching over easy. The monitor has Vesa mounting points, so that is where the RPi will be mounted (VESA RPi plate from cpc/farnell)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: