Gnome Shell for Windows 8

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gnome Shell for Windows 8

Postby muxica » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Hey guys, I just want to put it out there before I get tons of hate, I am an avid Linux advocate over any OS but as a graphic designer, video editor, and web developer we don't have much support from the best programs (Sublime Text aside)

That being said, I recognize the importance of having at least 1 Windows PC or Mac.

And I must say, I do enjoy the Metro UI after getting used to it. But my dream would be to run Gnome 3 on windows 8. I love the minimalistic gnome environment and I love being able to use adobe products and other such not ported for linux.

I know gnome is written completely differently. So this isn't an advocacy to make it work with windows 8.

My question to you all is. If Gnome 3 or Unity was compatible with Windows 8 or Mac OSX, would you like them a bit more? And what GUI would you like to put onto a mac or windows? I look forward to reading all of your answers! And please be nice to each other.
Cheese!
muxica

Out of the frying pan

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm

Running a Windows PC or Mac for professional reasons is entirely reasonable and I wouldn't dream of questioning your judgement in that matter. But, Gnome 3 or Unity on Windows 8? Are you nuts!?
Oh go on, your post is just flame bait isn't it?

;)

Pretending your question is reasonable: I quite like the OSX Snow Leopard interface just the way it is and nothing could really make Windows 8 any worse, but that wouldn't make me like it better. Windows 7 isn't too bad.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pastychomper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 am

I've never even seen Windows 8, so can't comment, but I'm no great fan of Gnome. If Gnome ran on Windows 8 then I'd appreciate the familiarity but probably wouldn't like it much (any?) more. Years ago a friend showed me some third-party window managers for Windows XP which improved the UI no end, but it seemed a bit of a Titanic deckchair exercise to me. IOW my dislike of Windows goes deeper than the UI.

That said, given the choice I'd really like to see either Fluxbox or WindowMaker runing on Windows. The same goes for Mac OS X, although that would only be for kicks since I agree with Rhakios that it's doing pretty well as it is.

Hmm, how about Snow Leopard configured for a three-button mouse? :P
pastychomper

Postby guy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 am

The thing about Apple's OS X is, with another 'nix GUI it would be just another *nix and the OS X-ness of it would vanish.

The Windows GUI is even more deeply embedded in the OS and the apps. Other GUIs can to some extent be grafted on, such as a web based GUI, but they are crippled.

Having said that, if it were possible, the answer is simple - Gnome 2.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:13 am

pastychomper wrote:Hmm, how about Snow Leopard configured for a three-button mouse? :P

If I plug a 3 button USB mouse into my Macbook it just works. So what do you mean by "configured"? :?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pastychomper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am

I meant set up to use the buttons in an X-like way with middle-click paste, scroll bars that jump to wherever you middle-click, right-click menus etc.

Come to think of it, I'm displaying my vast ignorance of Macs here :oops: by assuming they don't know what to do with all three buttons - do they?
pastychomper

Re: Gnome Shell for Windows 8

Postby guy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:56 am

muxica wrote:If Gnome 3 or Unity was compatible with Windows 8 or Mac OSX, would you like them a bit more?

Forgot to answer that bit. The long answer is, no.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

pastychomper wrote:I meant set up to use the buttons in an X-like way with middle-click paste, scroll bars that jump to wherever you middle-click, right-click menus etc.

Come to think of it, I'm displaying my vast ignorance of Macs here :oops: by assuming they don't know what to do with all three buttons - do they?

Well right click certainly gives a context sensitive menu (the same one you get with ctrl+click, or two finger click on modern touchpads), but I'd need to boot up and plug in to find out what middle click does. Perhaps tomorrow.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to Discussion