Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Ubuntu 13.04 from LXF 172 DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Installing Ubuntu 13.04 from LXF 172 DVD Reply with quote

Hi,
I have been thinking of installing the LXF Privacy Remix because I am not a fan of Amazon, but have a query before I do anything:

If I install it minus the Amazon "bits" will it remain Amazon-free permanently or will the Update Manager try in install them whenever it is run?

There doesn't seem much point in going to the trouble of doing a clean install of this version of Ubuntu if the bits taken out by the LXF Team will be put back at some stage by Update Manger.

Alternatively, is there a means of removing the "Amazonia" ourselves without having to do a fresh install from the LXF DVD?
Fat_Tuesday

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find any detail on how they've disabled the Amazon search for the respin. You can disable the search in the ubuntu privacy settings once ubuntu is installed. There have been a number of updates since I disabled the online search results and I just checked and they're still disabled.
chris

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Fat_Tuesday,

One learns something new every day; I didn't know that Ubuntu had privacy settings. Perhaps that is the one disadvantage (for newcomers) of having Unity and not having a conventional menu like other distros.

I find Unity quite good so long as I know what I am looking for.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: