Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macbook Pro 13 inch...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bazza
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Macbook Pro 13 inch... Reply with quote

<rant>
Well had an apple MBP for 12 months now and although slick looking it does have its foibles...

Finder has to be the worst file manager I have ever come across.

I use muCommander now, great for FTPing...

The text editor is also dreadful...

Switched to GEdit instead...

LBNL, come back IE all is forgiven, Safari is the most unstable browser I have ever come across. I think I will install FF, or does anyone on here have another preference, other than FF, on a(n) MBP...
</rant>

Phew, got that off of my chest now back to normal...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
heiowge
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have saved yourself a fortune and bought a proper computer. Twisted Evil

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Firefox on Snow Leopard for ages, can't really remember having any problems, but then I haven't had any problems using Safari either. Perhaps some of the newer Leonine OSes aren't as good.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Macbook Pro 13 inch... Reply with quote

I used Safari to start with when I bought my Mac mini (Mountain Lion) in April but then discovered (a) it has no method of sorting bookmarks alphabetically and (b) there were reported security problems with Adobe Flash Player. So I switched to Chrome, which does allow alphabetical sorting of bookmarks and has its own non-system wide flashplayer (supposedly safer?). I've been perfectly happy with it so far.

I don't have any problems myself with Finder, but then as I am currently running Windows 7, Windows 8, and Ubuntu 12.04 as well as OS X 10.8 I suppose I have increasingly become more adaptable!

Bazza wrote:
... it does have its foibles...

As do all operating systems in my opinion. I've yet to find the perfect one. Rolling Eyes
northumbrian1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: MAC PRO Reply with quote

I have the G4 Mac Pro (with Panther), and the Imac G4 with Panther also, and they still work fine! I'm looking at the developments of the new Mac Pro cylinder system which looks interesting - Interesting since Apple are claiming 7 Teraflops for it! I have three computers using various varieties of Linux plus one for windows 7 (I can't stand 8 - its like Gnome 3 with pictures)! I might get a Mac Pro Laptop to play with - but it'll be second-hand since I don't plan to spend all my savings on a new Mac when I can get a perfectly good second-hand one for less than a quarter of the price of a new one!
northumbrian1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Bazza, you shouldn't be having those problems at all. I've got Safari and Finder and they work smoothly and wonderfully on my G4's (even better than Chromium - which is saying something) which are quite old like me (72 today)!

Have you enquired of Apple if there are any 'notes' regarding these updates (presuming you have the latest editions of them)? I like to poke around inside my machines whether they are running M/stupid or one of the Linux's and or Macs. Dust can be a problem since the fans suck in all kinds of crap. It's a good idea to use a car vacuum on your computer to suck away the loose dust. You could also check the air vents to see that nothing is blocking the air ducts and generally keeping the inside as pristine as on your system or the outside of your box.

Can someone tell me why the Mackintosh is so called? It doesn't rain inside, so I don't see the need to call a computer after a garment to protect you from the rain?
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mackintosh is also a variety of apple that was developed here in Canada in the Victorian era about 100 km from where I am right now Cool

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lok1950 wrote:
Mackintosh is also a variety of apple that was developed here in Canada in the Victorian era about 100 km from where I am right now Cool

Enjoy the Choice Smile

I'm quite partial to a McIntosh Red Wink

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah so I got the spelling wrong never could get all those Mac's and Mc's right is it Irish or Scots or even a wayward Welshman nay the Welsh use ap and ab older Celtic dialect Smile

Enjoy the Choice Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: