Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it possible to make my win7 partition bigger and my linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: is it possible to make my win7 partition bigger and my linux Reply with quote

izit possible to make my win7 partition bigger and my linux partition smaller? Currently have 1oo gig Windows 7 partition and 22o gig ext4 Linux partition with 64 bit Zulubuntu 13.o4 Studio on it. Am running out of space on my windows partition; only got about 1o gigs spare now. I was thinking, that I could get a util so can read / write to the linux parts, cos I really donut waanna have a go at doing this; resize my win7 to make bigger and reduce my Linux. It is a recipe for disaster, especially when I am stoned....

aha, tia from Sinbad.
--
Benjamin Kenobi.
www.newmatrixism.com

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this with gparted, but you'll need to run it while booted from a live CD, such as Parted Magic.
guy
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a tool like gparted is easy enough to use, but you do need to be methodical and careful - stoned repartitioning can result in total data loss. Wink
So take time to understand the different types of partition and what the tool is saying to you, and back up everything that matters!

In fact the surest way is probably to back everything up, repartition/reformat/reinstall and then restore your stuff. But that's like taking the stairs when you could base jump.

So you can do it on the fly:
I'm guessing that your disk is ordered with the Windows partition first and the Linux partition/s following.
Easiest fix is to shrink the Linux space by say 50G or 100G then create a new Windows format partition in the space freed up after it. Move some of your overflowing Windows stuff across to it, until Windows has sufficient free space to be happy.
Slightly more challenging and riskier is to shuffle your shrunken partition to the end of the disk so you can just grow your windows partition bigger behind it.
Gparted comes with dire warnings that it carries no guarantee and if things go horribly wrong there will be no way back (a bit like base jumping really). Having said that, so far it has always worked for me and I have never yet needed my backups - but perhaps I shouldn't tell you that.
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
You can do this with gparted, but you'll need to run it while booted from a live CD, such as Parted Magic.

Would this be better than using the gparted on the Live Ubuntu Studio 64 dvd installed on a gig stick?

tia, from: Alex.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either one the main issue is whether your comp can boot from it so that it can work on your drives without worrying about gparted being wiped from RAM.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lok1950 wrote:
either one the main issue is whether your comp can boot from it so that it can work on your drives without worrying about gparted being wiped from RAM.

Enjoy the Choice Smile

Would you advise to use 13.o4 LIVE low latency kernel usb stick that boots gparted, or the gp parted on the new 13.1o early alpha? Shall I? Ubuntu 13.1o Saucy Salamander. With low latency kernel.

lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it boots use it the low- latency kernel is a none issue since the operations on the drive are not very kernel dependent.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Alex01UK
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lok1950 wrote:
If it boots use it the low- latency kernel is a none issue since the operations on the drive are not very kernel dependent.

Enjoy the Choice Smile

cheers, mate.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: