Root Partition shows 100%?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Root Partition shows 100%?

Postby Rojj » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi,
I'm running Debian 7 on a P4 with 2.5 Gb of RAM.
I recently had to use GIMP to scan some documents, and error messages were generated about how GIMP couldn't do things because there wasn't any space left. (Sorry, going from memory here). Checking with the disk utility it shows the root partition as 349Mb. The Disk Usage Analyser shows the root partition at 100% (in Red). Following some advice found elsewhere on this site I did an "autoclean" a "clean" and finally, with some trepidation, an "autoremove".
This got rid of a lot of things, some of which I will have to reinstall at some point, to the tune of 350Mb. The Root partition still shows 100% in the Disk Usage Analyser. Is there anything I should be worrying about? Is there likely to be a build-up of obsolete data in the Root partition that can easily be removed by a bear of very little brain? Or should I back everything up and think about trying CrunchBang?
Looking forward to your replies,
Rojj.
Roman pottery databases are more interesting than you might think...
Rojj

Re: Root Partition shows 100%?

Postby lok1950 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:47 am

Hi Rojj you don't mention the size of your hard drive which is the most important piece of data for this issue :wink: that and how it's partitioned.How full is your /home might be be time for a full back up and clean out of non current files.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box:Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb fedora 20 Win 7 acer S243HL X193W
amd XP1800 on a asusA7N8x/ 789Mb ram/ sda 120 Gb ntfs sdb 80 Gb ext3 (fedora 10) gForce 6800 gt 128 Mb
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:59 am

Depends on how (where) the rest of your tree is allocated. If large parts are on separate partitions, then 350MB is small, but acceptable. However, if your log files are also on the root partition, then it fills up quite quickly and you really need to do something about it!

Although Debian recommends having separate partitions for /var, /usr and /temp only for servers, it is a good idea to have those on separate partitions too. My partition scheme is usually to have /boot, / and swap as primary partitions (with swap on the end of the disk) while having /usr, /var, /temp and /home as logical partitions (and usually in that order) Moreover, I give them lots of space: /boot is usually 1GB, / is 10GB or more, /var and /usr 7 and 5 GB respectively (more depending on how intensive the machine is used) and /temp is 9 or 10GB too. Swap space is at least the amount of RAM installed, unless it's over 10GB, because IMO an OS should be very effective in its household tasks and shouldn't need more then that. :roll:

HTH!
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:46 am

You may find that the problem with scanning is the size of the temporary files, that can quite quickly fill a root partition
Look where gimp stores them (probably in /tmp or /var)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rojj » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:45 am

Hi All,
Hard disk is 250Gb.
Root is 349 Mb, (/dev/sdb1)
/usr is 9Gb, (/dev/sdb5)
/var is 3Gb, (/dev/sdb6)
Swap is 5.3Gb, (/dev/sdb7)
/tmp is 398Mb, (/dev/sdb8)
/home is 232Gb, (/dev/sdb9)
I will attempt to check the log files and temporary files this afternoon.
Many thanks for your suggestions,
Rojj
Rojj

Postby towy71 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:58 pm

could you run
Code: Select all
df -h
and post the result back
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rojj » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Hi Towy71,
Here it is.
roger@debian:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 323M 233M 74M 77% /
udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 253M 748K 252M 1% /run
/dev/disk/by-uuid/2f565435-f5d4-44eb-ac9e-9ea2393572f0 323M 233M 74M 77% /
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 1.5G 80K 1.5G 1% /run/shm
/dev/sdb9 213G 1.7G 201G 1% /home
/dev/sdb8 368M 11M 339M 3% /tmp
/dev/sdb5 8.3G 3.2G 4.7G 41% /usr
/dev/sdb6 2.8G 678M 2.0G 26% /var
roger@debian:~$

This is likely to include a couple of external storage devices (usb stick and external hard drive)
Regards,
Rojj
Rojj

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 am

This was asked recently, although the cause is likely to be different in your case, the steps to diagnose it are the same

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16720
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rojj » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi there,
Haven't been able to get back to this problem until now.
I was looking through my book of Linux commands and thought I could find out the amount of unused space in the root partition, scan a document, then use the same command and compare the results.
I also have included the error messages displayed in the terminal window.

Root details before scanning a document

root@debian:/# stat -f root
File: "root"
ID: 97cac8831b36e1cc Namelen: 255 Type: ext2/ext3
Block size: 1024 Fundamental block size: 1024
Blocks: Total: 330215 Free: 92147 Available: 75098
Inodes: Total: 85344 Free: 73873
root@debian:/#

Root details after scanning a document

root@debian:/# stat -f root
File: "root"
ID: 97cac8831b36e1cc Namelen: 255 Type: ext2/ext3
Block size: 1024 Fundamental block size: 1024
Blocks: Total: 330215 Free: 92126 Available: 75077
Inodes: Total: 85344 Free: 73872
root@debian:/#

Error message left in terminal screen

root@debian:/# gimp
The connection is closed
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(scangearmp:3966): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(scangearmp:3966): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gimp:3960): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gimp:3960): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: cannot connect to the session bus: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(gimp:3960): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_path_get_dirname: assertion `file_name != NULL' failed

(gimp:3960): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder_uri: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

(gimp:3960): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_path_get_dirname: assertion `file_name != NULL' failed

(gimp:3960): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder_uri: assertion `uri != NULL' failed

Note: I am currently only able to use my scanner as root, but I think that is a separate issue.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Rojj
Rojj

Postby nelz » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:09 pm

If df shows that you have free space on a filesystem but any attempt to write to it gives disk full errors, it is possible you have run out of inodes. This is fairly uncommon with ext filesystems, but it does happen. It basically means you have too many files on the filesystem, a lot of small files wiill use up your inodes while still leaving space unused. You can check inode usage with

Code: Select all
df -i /
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!