Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can Karen Sandler protect herself?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pastychomper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: How can Karen Sandler protect herself? Reply with quote

Thanks for the "Gnomic Cyborg" interview. It got me thinking about ways to protect one's self from unwanted wifi interruptions, when carrying a wifi device is unavoidable. Four things spring to mind:
  1. Carry a battery-powered wifi jammer whenever you're in a public place
  2. Permanently disable the wifi chip
  3. Persuade the manufacturer to implement some real security in the device
  4. Wear a Faraday cage

1 would be technically easy to do, and you could probably keep the power low enough to avoid affecting nearby equipment, but appears to be illegal in the UK and USA.

2 is also easy in theory - the chip's antenna will make it more susceptible to damage by radio/microwaves than the rest of the equipment, so a few seconds in a microwave oven should destroy the wifi without affecting other functions. Probably not safe for a pacemaker, though - just in case it shortens the life of other components, not to mention that you might actually need the wifi connection for its intended purpose - Plus, it shouldn't be tried in situ! Shocked

3 is the best approach if it could be made to work, but I wouldn't stake my life on it in the short term.

Which leaves us with 4. A full suit of plate or chain mail armour, including metal boots, gauntlets and helmet should work if you added enough electrical connections between the various sections, but would be awkward to wash and wear. I suspect you could get away with a lot less - such as a jacket with a buried copper mesh - but RF shielding is a bit of a black art (to me at least) so I'd have to experiment.

I suppose a possible 5th approach would be to carry a wifi-enabled device that continually listens for other devices, detects when one of them is connecting to your pacemaker, and then jams the signal (in self-defence, your honour...).
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How can Karen Sandler protect herself? Reply with quote

pastychomper wrote:
It got me thinking about ways to protect one's self from unwanted wifi interruptions, when carrying a wifi device is unavoidable. Four things spring to mind:

Which leaves us with 4. A full suit of plate or chain mail armour

You are overlooking the fact that there are age-old laws and bylaws against wearing armour in many places. For example you cannot wear armour in the Houses of Parliament, nor I believe within many city boundaries.

Similar to signs you see in some shops and banks that motorcyclists must remove their helmets.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: