Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web without Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Web without Linux Reply with quote

From LXF 177, P45, Chris DiBona said "..I don't think the web would exist without open source and Linux"

Much as I am a fan of Open Source and Linux, that is nonsense. One thing I have learned through experience is that nothing and nobody is indespensible. That belief is a similar fallacy to the belief that without Bill Gates there would not be "a computer in every home".

Things would have been different, but the web would still have existed.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but it would have belonged to Microsoft and AOL.

Edit: which would mean really, that it would not be the internet, just a series of corporate controlled intranets.

Nuke
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Yes, but it would have belonged to Microsoft and AOL .... it would not be the internet, just a series of corporate controlled intranets.

It's heading that way anyway, with Twitter, Google, Facbook etc. Some companies bumf now mentions their Facebook presence rather than a website ("Join us on Facebook at blah, blah").

I actually started with text-mode bulletin boards and then Compuserve, an early walled garden of content. Then I discovered the wider internet outside Compuserve, as did others, and Compuserve faded away, seen as parochial and restrictive (everything was indexed and catalogued). Yet now people are returning to that model with Facebook & co in a modified form (or dicovering that model for the first time).

Seems what comes around goes around. This would have happened with/without Linux/Windows (permutate to taste). Bear in mind that Microsoft have only been pushing content (as opposed to selling software) from quite recently.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without the open standards that the WWW was based on, AOL's proprietary system, which was already growing rapidly, would have most likely have become the dominant system. It's not so much the open source aspect of the WWW that made its successful but the open standards, which meant that anyone could use or provide it, and without extra costs.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really.
Facebook is a replacement for AOL, Compuserve et al, it is not the internet, nor is likely to ever be.
IRC, MSN etc are disappearing, but they were never the largest part of the internet anyway.
The internet is diverse, and different people choose different ways to interact with it.
Many people these days only touch the internet through Facebook, twitter and Google, but many do not.

And bear in mind that a huge share of the internet infrastructure runs on open-source software, which has no licensing costs.

ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Not really.
Facebook is a replacement for AOL, Compuserve et al, it is not the internet, nor is likely to ever be.
IRC, MSN etc are disappearing, but they were never the largest part of the internet anyway.
The internet is diverse, and different people choose different ways to interact with it.
Many people these days only touch the internet through Facebook, twitter and Google, but many do not.

And bear in mind that a huge share of the internet infrastructure runs on open-source software, which has no licensing costs.
Absolutely true!

I do not use facebook, twitter or any other social-media site because that is not why I use the internet. I do use google for searches but I am never logged in when I do so, and I seldom use the webmail gmail site but still use thunderbird instead.

Perhaps I am old-fashioned and/or paranoid, but I thoroughly dislike having to login with username and password to every site that I use, with a few exceptions like this forum, of course.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: