LXLE boot from USB on Acer Aspire

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXLE boot from USB on Acer Aspire

Postby andy17mb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:41 pm

I have an Acer Aspire one ZG8, which I bought about 3 years ago. I put Ubuntu on from the start booting from a live image on a USB stick and installing from there and it has been virtually problem free.. Until now.

It is getting a bit slow and clogged up so I decided to do a fresh install of the OS, as I suspect it is all it needs. I liked the look of LXLE on the LXF177 cover disc, so tried the live image on my desktop and decided to use that.

I formatted (FAT32) a USB stick, followed the instructions on the cover disc to make an ISO and then used "USB Image Writer" on my desktop (Mint 14) to put the ISO on the USB stick. I cannot get the laptop to boot from this.

I've been into the Bios (f2) and it recognises the USB stick as a HDD, I've put it at the top, and it doesn't boot. I've tried disabling fast boot and gone into the f12 boot order menu and selected the USB HDD and it still goes straight to the regular HDD.

I've tried booting my desktop from the Stick and that doesn't boot either. My suspicion is around the USB stick. The stick shows it is formatted as isofs and opens to show the files and folders I expected. It is set to allow execution of programs. I am baffled - I'm sure I must be missing something obvious but can't think what.

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Thanks

Andy
andy17mb

Postby nelz » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Just follow the instructions in dvd2usb.html on the DVD. That clones the whole DVD to a USB stick (you'll need at least an 8GB stick) and takes care of any booting issues.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Thanks..

Postby andy17mb » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:20 pm

That's got it..

Your Einstein quote hits the nail on the head .. That's exactly what I'd been doing
andy17mb

Return to Help!