Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epson wf-2520 printer on Mint 15

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardnicholas

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Epson wf-2520 printer on Mint 15 Reply with quote

I am fighting a losing battle to get my Epson WF-2520 printer working on Mint-15 (Cinnamon).

I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website, as the System Settings → Printer dialogue does not offer drivers for this particular printer.

I then unzipped the driver package and also unzipped a package specific to the printer, Epson-wf-2520_Series-epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.ppd

Still no luck; the printer did not work and I got an error message to the effect that a file called 'epson-escpr-wrapper' could not be found.

I am no linux expert but I eventually located the file and moved it to opt->epson-inkjet-printer-escpr->cups->lib->filter

Things looked more promising and I thought I had got there alas, no.

I now get an error messge saying:

File "/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper" has insecure permissions (0100775/uid=1000/gid=1000).

I am sure that this bit will be pretty simple to resolve but I have no idea where to begin ! Is there anyone who can help with this, please ?

The same seems to happen on Manjaro, too, although I installed the printer, no problems, on Ubuntu 13.10 and it works an absolute treat.

Thanks

Richard
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
File "/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper" has insecure permissions (0100775/uid=1000/gid=1000).

CUPS has a security policy for filters and backends with not allowing group write permissions, so you'll need to change the permissions with something like

Code:
sudo chmod 755 /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter/epson-escpr-wrapper
richardnicholas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I have tried changing the permissions of the epson-escpr-wrapper; sadly no luck.

If I go to that file, it gives read and write permissions to me, as owner, me as group and read only to others.

I have changed the chmod permissions to 777, even. I have deleted and reloaded the printer twice, rebooted twice but I still get this same message on the Printer Properties/Printer State line.

There is also a Status message on the Printer Properties->ink toner levels line in Printer Properties; "cups insecure filter", which I do not seem to be able to get rid of.

Something funny going on here ??

Any more ideas, please ?

Thanks again,

Richard
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I have changed the chmod permissions to 777, even. I have deleted and reloaded the printer twice, rebooted twice but I still get this same message on the Printer Properties/Printer State line.

There is also a Status message on the Printer Properties->ink toner levels line in Printer Properties; "cups insecure filter", which I do not seem to be able to get rid of.

Something funny going on here ??

Any more ideas, please ?

I'm not an Ubuntu or Mint user, but AFAIU, CUPS requires those files to be root owned.

Code:
sudo chown -R root  /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter

If necessary the group ownership can also be changed with
Code:
sudo chgrp -R root  /opt/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr/cups/lib/filter

Don't forget to restart CUPS after you make the changes.
Code:
sudo service cups restart

FWIW, a quick google seems to throw up lots of similar problems reported with Ubuntu, insecure permissions, and Lexmark drivers Smile

http://askubuntu.com/questions/237521/12-10-lexmark-s605-insecure-permissions-error

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082570

[/quote]
richardnicholas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I have managed a partial success, albeit along a different route !

It seems that the problem was the drivers offered on the Epson website. There are two, epson-inkjet-printer-escpr and epson-inkjet-printer-201211w.

The former is the 'latest' generic driver, the latter an earlier release but specific to the 'wf' series of printers. I went for the 'escpr' one and that is the one which did not work.

As I mentioned earlier, I had success out of the box on an Ubuntu installation, so I went back there to have a look and, sure enough, the '201211w' set had been installed.

I would not say that the problem has been totally resolved, as I still cannot get the proper wf-2520 driver to install and work but I have managed a work-around, which has allowed me to print letters.

I hope this is helpful for anyone else who may be encountering a similar problem.

Richard
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't replicate your driver install as I don't have a Debian-based OS, but your initial steps should have been to download the deb file and then install it with
Code:
sudo dpkg -i <PACKAGE-NAME>

http://livelinux.altervista.org/Guida_LMDE/EN_installare_programmi.html

Your opening post mentioned
Quote:
I have downloaded the drivers from the Epson website, as the System Settings → Printer dialogue does not offer drivers for this particular printer.

I then unzipped the driver package and also unzipped a package specific to the printer, Epson-wf-2520_Series-epson-inkjet-printer-escpr.ppd

Still no luck; the printer did not work and I got an error message to the effect that a file called 'epson-escpr-wrapper' could not be found.

I am no linux expert but I eventually located the file and moved it to opt->epson-inkjet-printer-escpr->cups->lib->filter

I think that is why it all went wrong with permissions etc.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: