Unix anyone?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Unix anyone?

Postby northumbrian1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 pm

When I worked for Plessey (see my other posts), we got a long fragment of code from Berkeley University, California, which we used in some of the Arrays on the Banks of switch-gear for BT's Secret System X. This was my first involvement with a Linux-like system and in fact from which Linus Torwald built the first Linux Kernel (not the Linux System itself). The year we began using this language was around 1971-73, which was quite early in the life of Unix. Does anyone else here use the original Berkeley University system of Unix or its newer counterparts?
northumbrian1

Postby johnhudson » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Every Apple user.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby northumbrian1 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Ha! Yes well I wasn't thinking of them! I wonder just how many know remotely what Unix is other than the system that powers their Mac Pro or other Apple product? @-)
northumbrian1

Postby Nuke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 pm

northumbrian1 wrote:I wonder just how many know remotely what Unix is other than the system that powers their Mac Pro or other Apple product?

I wonder just how many know remotely what Unix is at all, let alone that it powers their gadget.

I once went (against the grain) into an Apple showroom and, on a vacant demo laptop, out of curiosity, managed to start a full screen bash session and did
Code: Select all
ls -ahl
I left it like that. Probably gave the salesmen heart attack when they found it, it really did not fit in with the ambience. I wonder if they knew how to close the session.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:24 am

They where most likely afraid of you :lol: as you had out geeked them by a mile 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 am

More fun to load http://fediafedia.com/prank/vista/index.html into a browser and then set it to full screen :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby purplepenguin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:36 am

That's brilliant. I can just imagine the panic that would cause in an Apple store.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:50 am

It worked quite well when I loaded it on one of the Ubuntu machines we were updating at a LUG meeting :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Bazza » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi nelz...

LOL...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 pm

nelz wrote:More fun to load http://fediafedia.com/prank/vista/index.html into a browser and then set it to full screen :)
brilliant thanks nelz :wink: :wink:

Oh and BSD
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: Unix anyone?

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 am

northumbrian1 wrote:When I worked for Plessey (see my other posts), we got a long fragment of code from Berkeley University, California, which we used in some of the Arrays on the Banks of switch-gear for BT's Secret System X. This was my first involvement with a Linux-like system and in fact from which Linus Torwald built the first Linux Kernel (not the Linux System itself). The year we began using this language was around 1971-73, which was quite early in the life of Unix. Does anyone else here use the original Berkeley University system of Unix or its newer counterparts?

yes, I do phanking you very much in adnance...... Never you mind
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook XE303C12
Acer Aspire 5551: AMD Athlon P320 (2.1 GHz), 3GB RAM, ATI HD 425o Graphics.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Postby MadTux » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:19 pm

I am guilty of opening Terminal full screen every time I'm in a Apple Store -- I usually cat error logs or something, it looks even worse.

Did you know, you can get into the console if you go to System Preferences -> Users -> Login Options -> Dislpay user and password field, and then enter '>console' as user. That would REALLY freak Apple guys out :mrgreen:
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Re: Unix anyone?

Postby Nuke » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm

northumbrian1 wrote:Does anyone else here use the original Berkeley University system of Unix or its newer counterparts?

I have been playing with VirtualBox, installing several different OS's in it including OpenSolaris (on a LXF cover disk c2009), which I believe is as true a Unix system as any. I heard a comment a while ago, true or not, that AIX and Solaris are the best Unix systems still available, so Solaris intrigued me. In fact I am posting this from OpenSolaris now.

I have also just discovered that you can download Solaris 11.1, the current commercial version from Oracle, free of charge for non-commercial use, from here :-

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/downloads/index.html?ssSourceSiteId=opn

I shall probably try that too.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby oldpenguin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:01 am

Yes, I worked with UNIX in the 70's. Used it on the first
DPD-11/60, and we couldn't figure out why it kept crashing
after running stable for quite a while. Turned out someone
didn't know what UPDATE was for, so they removed it from the
init list.

Didn't miss working with Unix, everything seemed to have the same name.

On the other hand, I received Linux as a gift some years ago.
I was amazed I still remembered most of the command line arguments.
Amazing what a world community can do.!
oldpenguin

Postby guy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Ah, the joys of writing an architectural lighting program in BASIC on the Bartlett's PDP-11, just around then. It was a cool language for me because it was pretty much Fortran for dummies. I might still have a printout around somewhere.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS