Unix anyone?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Nuke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:59 pm

oldpenguin wrote:Yes, I worked with UNIX in the 70's. Used it on the first DPD-11/60

Sure that wasn't a PDP-11?

guy wrote:Ah, the joys of writing an architectural lighting program in BASIC on the Bartlett's PDP-11, just around then. It was a cool language for me because it was pretty much Fortran for dummies.

We had a PDP-11/08 at work doing technical analysis. It was the size of a full height fridge-freezer. Officially just two guys ran it and they wrote in Fortran. But at lunchtimes another two or three of us were either playing or further developing the text-based Startrek game in BASIC. We had started with a version we had found on an HD that came with it.

You were lucky to have had Unix. Our PDP-11 (AFAIR) had RSX-11. Its commands were a bit like the CP/M I had on my first home computer. I ported (including re-typing) the whole of that Startrek to that home computer, and still have the file.

The BASIC was truly awful. It had line numbers and you could only GOTO a line number with an IF statement. No line labels, WHILE, CASE or even ELSE. By default the editor numbered lines at intervals of 10, but if you later needed to insert a block of code of 10 lines or more it messed up the subsequent line numbering and broke the GOTOs.

I got into the habit (that I have kept ever since) of numbering things (anything - like my photos) starting with something like 1111 with increments of 10, to leave room for things to be added. So much for RMS insisting we number things from zero.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:54 pm

I think I remember that version of BASIC Nuke only I encountered it on a PDP-8.Remember toggling in the boot-loader for the second stage on paper tape :D

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Solaris 11.1

Postby Nuke » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Just to get back on-topic, I have now installed Solaris v11.1 (64-bit) in VirtualBox and it runs fine. VB has prepared settings for it. I used it for some internet banking earlier. I did need to enable hardware virtualisation in BIOS, something I had been unaware of until now (Open Solaris and WinXP had not needed it), and it is quite slow to boot. and shutown. Also, it only offers resolutions up to 1024x768 and even then it does not fill that resolution but leaves a black border around..

Nice wallpaper though, although I had expected something more sunny (seems the full name is "SunOS Solaris"), and it uses, I think, a Gnome 3 GUI (sorry, I am not very familiar with Gnome, I'm a KDE user). It has a repository with plenty of OSS apps. Much like Linux really.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS