Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOLVED: UEFI, GPT -- Sabayon 14.01 on Lenovo X220

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mediamgl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: SOLVED: UEFI, GPT -- Sabayon 14.01 on Lenovo X220 Reply with quote

Hi.

I've decided that I'd like to have a play with Sabayon 14.01 on my Lenovo X220 (i7, SSD); however, after the install process completes, I can't boot. The laptop behaves as though there is no operating system.

I am sure it is down to UEFI and GPT not being set-up correctly, but Sabayon 14.01 is supposed to support UEFI "out of the box".

Has anyone had any luck getting Sabayon to work without too much hassel? I've seen a few Gentoo forums, but honestly, by the time I do all those steps, I might as well just complete the remainder and install Gentoo.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by mediamgl on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
purplepenguin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an obvious suggestion and I'd expect you have already checked. But..

Is the SSD/HDD listed in the bios boot device list. I've made this mistake before myself. When changing the boot order to USB I mistakenly removed the HDD from the boot list.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
mediamgl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purplepenguin wrote:
Is the SSD/HDD listed in the bios boot device list.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, my SSD is listed in the bios boot device list.

From what I have been able to ascertain, I need to manually partion the drive and add the boot loader manually as well.

I'll try hitting up the Sabayon forums first, they claim to support this config out of the box.
ajgreeny
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is mainly used on ubuntu systems, but as far as I'm aware it works on other OSs as well, so give it a whirl and see if it helps.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
mediamgl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had the opportunity to figure this out yesterday; I have a working Sabayon 14.01 installation on my X220 now Very Happy

mediamgl wrote:
From what I have been able to ascertain, I need to manually partion the drive and add the boot loader manually as well.

I'll try hitting up the Sabayon forums first, they claim to support this config out of the box.

So, I hit up the Sabayon Live Chat and the only response that I received was "Try the forums"; which I searched and found to be unhelpful in this instance. I also looked through a ton of Gentoo support pages, but didn't get too far.

Then I found a few pages about installing OS X on the X220. Some of these folks were experiencing the same issue that I encountered. It turns out that there are a few things in the X220 BIOS that need to be tweaked (in the menus) to switch "Legacy Mode" off entirely. Once the X220 is completely in UEFI mode, Sabayon set-up GPT and the necessary /boot/efi configs automatically.

So, it's only been a few hours of play, but hardware seems to be working using default settings. I haven't enabled the fingerprint scanner or the 3G WAN yet. I must say that I do like the Sabayon thus far!

If anyone has questions, let me know.

Cheers!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: