Debian or #!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debian or #!

Postby purplepenguin » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi all

Is anyone running Debian or #!? If so is is stable or testing. I've been playing with Crunchbang on my spare lappy for a while now and rather like it, Openbox is fantastic. I cannot decide whether to install Debian/XFCE currently my favourite DE or go with #!/Openbox which I imagine would fly on a i5 with 8GB RAM. The only thing that puts me off Debian/XFCE is that XFCE is at version 4.8. I installed XFCE 4.10 from the testing repo and borked the machine.

Hmm, bugger it I'm going back to Windows. Can't cope with all this choice. :lol: :lol:
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:17 am

Cruchbang stable with backports it is then.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:08 pm

That's probably a good choice if you're after speed. I've still yet to try FlashShriek, but XFCE is slower on Wheezy than I've ever seen it before. Certainly not down in the Gnome/KDE treacle mines, but slow enough to notice.
pastychomper

Postby purplepenguin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:56 am

I'm very happy with #!. While I said XFCE is my favourite DE I have a feeling that's about to change. Openbox is excellent. It appears to be very customisable too. Not that I'm interested in that. I don't spend hours tweaking the looks any more. I'd rather have speed and functionality these days. Having said that OB is no where near as ugly as an out of the box XFCE anyway.

The only draw back with OB is after you install software you need to edit an xml file by hand for the software to appear in the menu.

I just need to workout how to add a launcher to the desktop.

purplepenguin
LXF regular

#!

Postby penguinclaw » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:18 pm

I love #! As you say it is blindingly fast and it was even fast on my Eeepc 4G Surf. They also have a great community and forum which I find always a plus when choosing a Distro.
FOSS the new way forward.
penguinclaw

Re: Debian or #!

Postby chriswadams » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:33 am

I'm currently using #! on an Acer Aspire One. It doesn't come with any frills, but it boots in 20 seconds, and runs pretty fast on such a small machine.

Also, it had drivers for the wireless card out of the box. This is something that I have discovered about my netbook: Ubuntu and its derivatives have support for wireless pre-installed, but almost nothing else does. Even Trisquel had it, which surprised me because even though it is an Ubuntu derivative, it includes only free-software drivers. The only other distro I found that had wireless support pre-installed was Mandriva.

As for adding a launcher to Openbox, see Mike Saunders' article "Desktops: Build Your Own" in LXF 178.
chriswadams

Return to Discussion