Issue: April 192 Advice needed

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Issue: April 192 Advice needed

Postby Cleo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:22 pm

First thx for letting me join.
I know almost nothing about Linux but after searching on the internet realise that it would be best for my Toshiba Laptop Win XP (Intel Celeron CPU 520 @1.60Gz 1.0Gb Mobile Express Chipset).

I was looking at the lastest Linux Format Mag (April Issue 192)in supermarket but cannot tell from quick read if it contains the operating system I require. I would be grateful if you guys could let me know if it does as I would them buy mag. I cannot download Linux file as I use dongle for internet and it would take ages to download.

I would also be grateful if you could point out any helpful info I should be reading as I dont know my distros or kdes etc.

Thx in advance
Cleo

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm

That is a 64 bit CPU, so you can use Netrunner from the DVD. Tails and Gentoo, also on the DVD, would work with your hardware but Gentoo is for more experienced users. Tails is a security focussed distro, but is based on standard software so may also be suitable for you.

Try either of Tails or Netrunner, if you don't like it try the other one.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Cleo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Thx very much for prompt reply. I have many things to research tonite. (Getting mag tommorow) My main one being whether or not I can use my t-mobile dongle or if I should keep windows xp for dual boot.
Cleo

Return to Help!