Problem installing OpenSUSE 13.1

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problem installing OpenSUSE 13.1

Postby chris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to install OpenSuse 13.1 (from LXF 180) but am being defeated partly by my ignorance and partly by the installer.

I want to install it on a portable hard drive which the computer sees as /dev/sdc and have made a partition on the drive that is formatted to ext4 and have also created a partition for the swap file

When I get to the part of the installation that wants to know where I want to install it, I select /dev/sdc1 which is the partition I created for it and the installer is OK with that, but appears to want to create a swap partition on /dev/sda and also on/dev/sdc.

I don't want the installer doing anything on /dev/sda but can't see a way of removing it from the partitioning suggested by the installer.

Also I want the boot manager to be installed on the portable drive but it appears to want to install it on /dev/sda

How does one decline the installer's suggestions and substitute one's own?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
chris

Postby ferrari » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:33 am

Hi Chris

It is possible to configure your own preferred partitioning scheme (but care must be taken). At the 'Suggested Partitioning' page, it is possible to edit any proposed partitioning, by selecting 'Edit Partition Setup...'

Refer to the online installation guide

http://activedoc.opensuse.org/book/open ... uick-start
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby chris » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Ferrari,

Thanks for your help. I installed openSuse after my second attempt in the end but only after I had made a complete cockup the first time.

When I booted it the first time it appeared to be OK but when I booted the machine (which is not mine) which I had used to install openSuse on the portable drive, I nearly had a coronary when it refused to boot. Fortunately I was able to fix this by re-installing GRUB, so the owner is none the wiser apart from the fact that he caught me red-handed after I had disconnected his disc drive in order to ensure that openSuse was installed on my portable HD.

I have one last query that perhaps you could help me with? I installed it with the XFCE desktop but may want to change it later. Is this feasible or is it likely to be another coronary-generating event?

Anyway, thanks for your help
chris

Postby johnhudson » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:42 pm

No. You simply start YaST>Software Management and, if there is no Patterns tab, you should find a menu which pops it up (I've had this tab up for so long, I've forgetten where I first found it). You can select a wide range of patterns including alternative desktops.

When you log out, click the spanner and it will list the available desktops - you have probably a couple of simple alternatives installed anyway.

Thereafter it always goes back to the last one you used unless you click on the spanner and select a different one.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby chris » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks for that info johnhudson,

It wasn't quite how you described in that Software Management did not have any tabs. It opened up with two panes and the left-hand pane had various things in it such as "Installed Software" and "Not installed Software" with a list of applications so that selecting "Not installed" and an application produced some output in the right hand pane with the option to install it.

Perhaps the Software Management item has changed in OpenSuse 13.1? Or perhaps the appearance of Software Management depends on what desktop is in use? Anyway I got there in the end, so thanks for your help
chris

Postby caf4926 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:25 am

chris wrote:Thanks for that info johnhudson,

It wasn't quite how you described in that Software Management did not have any tabs. It opened up with two panes and the left-hand pane had various things in it such as "Installed Software" and "Not installed Software" with a list of applications so that selecting "Not installed" and an application produced some output in the right hand pane with the option to install it.

Perhaps the Software Management item has changed in OpenSuse 13.1? Or perhaps the appearance of Software Management depends on what desktop is in use? Anyway I got there in the end, so thanks for your help

The QT and GTK software managers look quite different
XFCE will use GTK I think
GTK is a simple drop down to view by Pattern etc...
In QT, from the menu > View > Pattern - will add a tab to the UI
CAF4926
caf4926

Return to Help!