Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can load from cover DVD but not from iso

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antcol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Can load from cover DVD but not from iso Reply with quote

Hi, I have an unusual problem in that I can install Linux from the DVD given away with Linux Format, but I cant install from an iso on an old Celeron D PC(The iso DVDs I'm using are OK as I have used them to install Linux on a different PC)

It seems the problem is with graphics and I have tried all the suggestions given in this and other forums to no avail, I always end up on a blank screen. Can anyone suggest a reason why the give away DVDs work but not the iso.

At present I am running Kubuntu (from a give away DVD, but I want to use Lubuntu. I can wait until a magazine gives it on the cover disk, but that might be a long while)
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd need to post a little more info;
- at what point in installation the blank screen occurs
- any screen messages prior to that
- what video hardware has the PC got

Sometimes it is a simple as forcing the install process to use a command line approach instead of the graphics installer, as there just isn't enough 'power' for the graphics installer (I used to get these on an older system)
Antcol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derek, thanks for your response. I dont know what my video hardware is, but its an old PC. The installation gets as far as loading the Linux distro, I get an on screen prompt with the name and version of the distro with dots showing it is progressing, then the screen goes blank and after a few seconds the same screen comes up but this time in monochrome, then the screen goes blank & no further activity. (I have tried using an alternate iso and this goes all the way through the install process but when I get to the reboot stage it goes straight to the black screen.)

UPDATE

I have found a way of resolving the issue. I installed Kubuntu from a magazine cover disk and then changed it to Lubuntu using the command "sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop"

I still cant understand why cover disks work but iso disks dont.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: