Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rosa & e156g dongle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatalbert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: rosa & e156g dongle Reply with quote

Hello. I want to use Rosa OS, but my only connection to the internet, is through a Huawei E156G mobile dongle from 3. Rosa just cannot "see" it. In network connections the "mobile connection" is greyed out, so I cannot set up a connection. I am a complete novice with Linux, & am self taught at Windows (sorry I'll try not to use that word again). Any help would be most gratefully received. (Too stressed out now, so trying to get some sleep). Thanks.
arochester

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are you connecting to the Internet now?

On the SUSE Forum there is a suggestion
Quote:
The easiest thing is to do a network connect with ethernet, install the UMTSMON from software search and then try with wireless. No ethernet connect available? You may also download the rpm on a usb stick from software search and install it with yast once switched to Linux again.
http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/437971-Huawei-E156G-modem-can-t-set-up-internet-connection-(

Can you get it on a USB stick? OK, Rosa is based on Mandriva which has a package manager called urpmi (not yast), but this uses .rpm too.
fatalbert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Sorry but I don't understand Reply with quote

Hello arochester. Thanks for replying to my question. I'm connected to the internet using the E156G, & Win 7. I just plug it in, click a couple of buttons & off it goes with Windows. I'm afraid I don't understand your instructions in your reply. Any instructions have to be dead simple, as I say, I know nothing about Linux, although I much prefer it to Windows. If only it was a case of just using a GUI & off you go.
towy71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you plug it inad run
Code:
lsusb
from a terminal?

If the dongle is recognised then follow the instructions from here looks really simple Cool

sorry there isn't a gui but it is normal for a proper OS Wink
fatalbert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: solution found Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I especially liked the reference to a "proper OS", very good.
Accidently, I've found another solution. I tried a newer dongle, the e3231(?), (I cant see without taking the back off, & then I lose the connection). Anyway, this dongle has all the drivers onboard, so isn't reliant on the OS, & so just connects to the net automatically. Only problem now is Rosa got half way through installing, & just stopped. Mint 13 installed instead. Many thanks to all who tried to help.
ferrari
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Linux drivers are not onboard. If it works at all, it is because Linux has the kernel drivers built-in. Usually there is some configuration required to connect though.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: