dual boot/XP [Answered]

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dual boot/XP [Answered]

Postby timl » Sat May 24, 2014 4:53 am

Hi, Neil's dual booting tutorial brought back a few memories and also showed the way for me to simply partition my XP disk, install linux and keep a copy of XP just in case. The problem I have relates to XP if anyone can help.

I got ready to partition. First up I deleted a load of old files then I run defrag on the XP disk which is 147GB. The problem I get is that it seems, while i have 50GB of free space, there are some files stored at the end of the disk. There are lines indicating files which can not be moved but after a fair bit of white space (20GB easily) and right at the end of the disk there are blue lines indicating contiguous files. This suggests to me that if add a new partition at the end of the disk then these files will be removed and who knows what chaos that will cause.

Are there any tools which will rearrange the contents of the disk prior to partitioning?

Thanks
timl

Postby purplepenguin » Sat May 24, 2014 9:19 am

I'd imagine those files are stored at the end of the XP partition rather than at the end of the physical disk. If you shrink the XP partition I guess the files would still be at the end of the now smaller partition.

Don't act on my guesses, as I don't have any experience with dual booting it's just what I'd expect to happen. Your probably better waiting for Nelz or someone to offer the correct advice.

PP - in Saturday morning rambling mode.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat May 24, 2014 5:57 pm

If you use gparted to resize the partition, it should move anythng that needs moving. I haven't come across Windows storing files at the top of the filesystem but I have had it store them in the middle, reducing the amount by which I could shirink it.

Gparted won't let you shrink the filesystem any further than is safe but I have found that doing this and then running another Windows defrag lets you shrink t further.

[Insert standard disclaimer about partition resizing being inherently risky and backing up anything important]
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby johnhudson » Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I can confirm the above having recently defragged an XP machine which claimed that it had unmoveable files about 3/4 of the way along the drive.

Gparted successfully moved the 'unmoveable' files and I can happily boot into XP (when not connected to the Internet) and into Linux (when connected to the Internet).
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby timl » Sat May 24, 2014 9:30 pm

thanks for the explanations. Warm fuzzy feeling in place. I'll have a play with that today.

I never thought to read up on partitions before (they just exist) I had best do that before I get started,
timl

Postby timl » Mon May 26, 2014 4:54 am

Hi, I am not having much joy. I booted from the rescue CD and kicked off gparted. According to this there is one NTFS partition on the disk /dev/sda1 which is 149GB then there is 10MB of free space. But, when I attempt to resize /dev/sda1 it will only allow me to add the free 10MB. I can't resize /dev/sda1 downward.

I did read somewhere that this might occur if the disk was mounted so just in case I tried a

umount /dev/sda1

but it was not mounted. For reference gparted shows a symbol on the /dev/sda1 line - an orange triangle with a "!" in it. I guess this is a warning of some kind?

Any ideas how I can proceed?
timl

Postby johnhudson » Mon May 26, 2014 8:22 pm

timl wrote: gparted shows a symbol on the /dev/sda1 line - an orange triangle with a "!" in it. I guess this is a warning of some kind?

Difficult to know but you could try looking at the gparted help on fixing invalid MSDOS partition tables: http://gparted.org/h2-fix-msdos-pt.php.

You might even try 'fix partition table' and see if the symbol disappears.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby timl » Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 pm

thanks for the link John. I flicked through the contents but I am going to have to settle back and read in more detail. I am entering into the unknown here. But I notice a mention of testdisk (with which I am not familiar) so, as you mention, a bit of searching might help.

That said, I have a box of old disks somewhere and my fallback is to plug in one of these and install linux there.

Thanks
timl

Postby timl » Fri May 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I took the easy way out and plugged in another disk. And I put Fedora 20 onto that disk.

I am SO glad this tutorial came along. There are reasons for maintaining a MS computer but I don't have the $$$ to go out and buy a new licence (and mostly we use tablets these days). I am kicking myself that I didn't think of this a long time ago and I could have begun to migrate the family away from windows.

Cheers
timl

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs