Firefox 29

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Firefox 29

Postby Fíona » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

I've been using firefox for many years now and am particularly pleased with the security/privacy addons. Firefox 29 is making me very unhappy. First the australis or whatever it's called layout got me lost until the suggestion in these forums to use classic theme restorer. Then the video on the bbcnews site stopped working (flash 11.2.202.356) then the layout of the site started to look like a toddler had designed it and now I have discovered that I can't log into my work via citrix.
Happily midori solves most of these problems but what a pity that such a good browser has become such a mess!
Fíona

Re: Firefox 29

Postby catgate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:46 pm

Fíona wrote:I've been using firefox for many years now and am particularly pleased with the security/privacy addons. Firefox 29 is making me very unhappy................................................................ but what a pity that such a good browser has become such a mess!

You have reminded me of an incident many years ago. During a Management meeting at the company where I earned my crust, one of the managers was proposing a new method of producing a certain product, which would have reduced the number of people working on the process considerably and at the same time increased the chance of faulty product being made and packed.
I was Quality Assurance and Technical Services Manager and it was quite apparent that the scheme was a none starter, so I said "I'm sorry, Tony, but I am going to have to veto that one."
He then came out with a priceless statement......"Oh, no!...you have to realise that all improvements are not necessarily for the good!"
I wonder if he now works for Mozilla
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Re: Firefox 29

Postby ajgreeny » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 pm

Fíona wrote:I've been using firefox for many years now and am particularly pleased with the security/privacy addons. Firefox 29 is making me very unhappy. First the australis or whatever it's called layout got me lost until the suggestion in these forums to use classic theme restorer. Then the video on the bbcnews site stopped working (flash 11.2.202.356) then the layout of the site started to look like a toddler had designed it and now I have discovered that I can't log into my work via citrix.
Happily midori solves most of these problems but what a pity that such a good browser has become such a mess!

BBC News videos are still working here on FF 29 with the Classic Theme Restorer and flash version 11.2.202.359.

I wonder if you being in the Netherlands is the problem with these videos?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Fíona » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi agjreeny,

While some bbc videos never worked due to me being "outside the territory", other, mainly news video's did work. I tried out an older lxf live distro dvd with an older version of the flashplayer and that did work. This problem has probable more to do with the flashplayer than firefox however other problems are more likely related to ff.
Fíona

Return to Discussion