Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35 [ANSWERED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToffeeCrisp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35 [ANSWERED] Reply with quote

The “Fix Windows detection issues” guide seems to have a typo.

The magazine says “sudo gdisk dev/sda”

But I think this should be “sudo gdisk /dev/sda” i.e. the “/” was missing...

---- ---- ---- ----

The article on “Handeling UEFI & Ubuntu” was fantastic, at last I got my Dell XPS 13 to dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint 17... Very happy now Very Happy

Thanks
Listicath

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had tried to set up a dual boot on my windows 8 Dell Inspiron using Ubuntu 13.04 last year, which had kind of worked, but had all sorts of problems, with having to jump through hoops on each attempt to boot into Ubuntu.

I thought this article was exactly what I was looking for, to fix the booting and fix the other problem of the two OSs being unable to see each others' partitions.

The install from the DVD was unable to see the Windows partition, so I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, even realising that the "/" was missing didn't help, as it wiped out all the partitions on my hard drive.

So now I have the fun of restoring from backup and I don't think I'm going to bother with a dual boot this time.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Error – Fix Windows detection issues – LXF187 P35 Reply with quote

ToffeeCrisp wrote:
The “Fix Windows detection issues” guide seems to have a typo.

The magazine says “sudo gdisk dev/sda”

But I think this should be “sudo gdisk /dev/sda” i.e. the “/” was missing...

---- ---- ---- ----

The article on “Handeling UEFI & Ubuntu” was fantastic, at last I got my Dell XPS 13 to dual boot Windows 7 with Linux Mint 17... Very happy now Very Happy

Thanks

Good spot. Fortunately the screenshot includes the '/' but sorry we missed it.

Going to be installing Mint 17 on a Windows 8.1 system so hopefully I won't end up wiping my partitions too...
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listicath wrote:
The install from the DVD was unable to see the Windows partition, so I followed these instructions. Unfortunately, even realising that the "/" was missing didn't help, as it wiped out all the partitions on my hard drive.

When I read the Escape Windows article I looked at those brief instructions (Fix Windows detection issues) somewhat apprehensively as there was no explanation at all of the consequences of running those commands. The very words "wipe the GPT" sounded a bit foolhardy to me. There is absolutely no way on earth I would have run those commands without knowing a lot more about what they actually did.

I have recently set up a Windows 8.1/Ubuntu 14.04 dual boot on an HP laptop. Ubuntu's installation screen didn't detect Windows but I simply chose the "Something else" option - to manually create root and swap partitions in the space I had previously made available by shrinking the Windows C: partition in Windows Disk Management. Fortunately for me, after the installation had completed and the laptop rebooted, the Windows boot manager was available as an option on the Grub menu, so Ubuntu obviously must have detected Windows at some stage in the proceedings.
Swabbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Windows Detection on HP Reply with quote

this question is posted on the Help forum so I've deleted the text Wink towy71
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please don't post the same question to different forums Rolling Eyes
Swabbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
please don't post the same question to different forums Rolling Eyes

Sorry about that as I intended to go back and delete the original post as I thought it applied somewhere else and did not for some reason.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: