upgrade Ubuntu 14-04 to Ubuntu Remix

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

upgrade Ubuntu 14-04 to Ubuntu Remix

Postby Cushie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:34 pm

I have 14.04 installed (64 bit HP 250 Laptop) Uefi disabled) and would like to use a DVD I made from the Remix iso on LXF 185. Can I upgrade using the new DVD rather than reinstall as offered by the Remix installation process? This would give me the alternate Desktop managers and their relevant software without downloading it all.
Regards.
Cushie

Postby ChrisThornett » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Sorry, missed your post. Not sure, I'd imagine that's more than a simple upgrade path. Hopefully someone else knows.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:52 am

The installer on the remix DVD is exactly the same as a standard Ubuntu disc, it just includes more packages. The options available are the same, so you should be able to update in the same way as with a standard disc.

The Ubuntu installer update doesn't do a package by package update, it basically reinstalls without wiping /home.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: upgrade Ubuntu 14-04 to Ubuntu Remix

Postby Cushie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:54 am

Thank you Nelz for your response together with the Answers column in December LXF191 p95. This is a useful way to try alternative desktops all in one installation.
Regards.
Cushie

Postby nelz » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:35 am

And the next DVD has Ubuntu with even more desktops :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:04 pm

You could alwsys attempt doing what you want by running the installer with the "Something Else" option and reusing the root partition but deselecting the "Format" box for that as well as the old /home partition, if you have one.

I have always used clean installs and never upgraded from distro version to a new one, so I have no idea whether that would work or not, nor even if the installer allows you to do this.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs