Create Knoppix w/Sun Java Desktop System Boot Disc Feb 05?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Create Knoppix w/Sun Java Desktop System Boot Disc Feb 05?

Postby veruca » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi.. , I'm sort of new to linux.. anyway what I don't understand is When and how to create the Knoppix ISO image from the Sun Java Desktop System Live Cd that is included in the February 2005 issue. If I press F2 at startup it gives me a help menu for Morphix.. and there doesn't appear to be any cd writing parameters..
veruca

RE: Create Knoppix w/Sun Java Desktop System Boot Disc Feb 0

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:30 pm

You have to be running Linux to create the CD image. This can either ben an installed Linux distro or the JDS live CD. You don't need to give any options when starting up, just boot the disc as normal then follow the instructions in the boxout on the disc pages.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby veruca » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:33 pm

There are no directions in the magazine .. I don't know where this knoppix iso is.. The magazine keeps talking about these CD's and then says they're DVD's.. something is really wierd about that...
veruca

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:01 pm

The magazine comes in two versions, one with a DVD and one with two CDs. The part abut creating a CD image from the DVD only applies to those with the DVD issue. In fact, that was for a JDS image. Knoppix is on the DVD as an ISO image, which you write to a blank CD-R as described on pp115/116. Knoppix was only on the DVD, if you have CDs, you don't have Knoppix.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs