Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grip options for MP3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

I've found that whenever I use grip (gnome-ripper) it creates .ogg files instead of .mp3 files. Nice of Fedora to use the "politically correct" choice here, but ogg files are not good for transporting to a hardware mp3 player. I want mp3 format.

But what I don't know is what the options should be in the Encode >> Encoder tab. I know I have "lame" installed but I don't know the command line extras to get this to work (e.g: the "Encoded command-line" textbox)

Anyone know the correct settings?
jdtate101
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

On the Config -> Encode tab there is a enrty box that says "Encode file extension"...change that to mp3.

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Nope.

It already is set to mp3 and it's still making ogg files. I think that's because the textbox below "Encode File format" contains the string "~/ogg/%A/%d/%n.ogg"

...but even if I change this to ~/ogg/%A/%d/%n.mp3 I do get files ending in mp3 but a file command identifies them as "Ogg data, Vorbis audio" and xmms refuses to play them

This is why I think I need to change the command-line options in the above "Encoder command line" box... I just don't know what that textbox should be changed to.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Which version o0f Grip? In 3.31, go to the Config tab, encode sub tab and Encoder sub-sub-tab (???). There's a menu gadget where you select your preferred encoder.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Lancer wrote:

This is why I think I need to change the command-line options in the above "Encoder command line" box... I just don't know what that textbox should be changed to.

That will depend entirely on what encoder you have installed. For instance, I have lame from the pacman archive (as I'm using SuSE). When I pick lame from the Encoder drop down list it automagically changes the command in the Encoder command-line box. Bladeenc is another good mp3 encoder, if you can get it for your system.

(grip version 3.2.0)
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

The "about" dialogue tells me it's grip version 3.2.0

Config >> Encode >> Encoder looks like...

Encoder: bladeenc (selected)
Encoder executable: /usr/bin/oggenc
Encoder command-line: -o %m -a %a -l %d -t %n -N %t -G %G -d %y -q 4 %w
Encode file extension: mp3
Encode file format: ~/ogg/%A/%d/%n.ogg

...the above results in ogg files being made. Running a man oggenc shows that the executable is unlikely to produce mp3 files as /usr/bin/oggenc is made to "encode audio into the Ogg Vorbis format"

As I have said, as well as bladeenc, I do also have lame but no idea on the proper command options to use in order to configure it to create mp3 files.
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Rhakios said
Quote:

That will depend entirely on what encoder you have installed. For instance, I have lame from the pacman

... he's right, as I found out only two nights ago.

You need to tell grip to use lame - or any other program you have that will convert WAV files to MP3. First, select lame in the drop-down list. You will also need to specify the full path to lame in the encoder executable box. Grip will complain if the path is wrong.

My distro (Slackware) does not come with lame by default, so, like me, you may have to download and install it first. To verify the existence and path to lame, type 'which lame' at the command line. Once that is done, you should be a happy man. Don't forget to reduce the bit rate in the encode options, otherwise you end up with the default CD quality MP3s which sound great, but are quite large.

All the best, and let us know how it goes.
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

....yes but I did all that before I ever made this thread...

linking to the /usr/bin/lame executable is not enough... because I'm missing the stuff in the other boxes, particularly the "Encoder command-line:" box.

I tried the following...
Encoder: lame (selected)
Encoder executable: /usr/bin/lame
Encoder command-line: --alt-preset standard %w %n
Encode file format: ~/ogg/%A/%d/%n.mp3

...but that is wrong. I think that resulted in files either not being made or perhaps errors (cannot check right now because I am using the player for a big task at the moment). In either case, I have lame but not the options to go with it.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Doesn't man lame tell you all the available options?
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Yes it does, and that is how I derrived the incorrect Encoder command-line: --alt-preset standard %w %n above.

As with many man pages there are a LOT of options to sort through but what throws me is tryiong to marry them with the syntax grip uses to pass on parameter its. For that there is no simple guide and man grip lists many things which could or could not be useful to lame.

Surely someone out there... uses lame to make mp3 through grip... and can say what the options should be? Especiallly for Encoder command-line: which is the part I'm most certain I have wrong. (when making ogg files that one works out to be -o %m -a %a -l %d -t %n -N %t -G %G -d %y -q 4 %w ) Shocked

I have been a bit rushed to really look into it slowly (teacher at end year writing reports) but will see what I can do over the weekend, posting a core complete analysis of what I'm trying to do. In the meantime, if anyone has it working and cares to say what their options are, much appreciated.

Last edited by Lancer on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Hi Lancer,

Try these settings using the bladeenc encoder. This is working very well for me at the moment. The homepage for bladeenc can be found at http://bladeenc.mp3.no/

Don't put in the "->" characters I've only used them here as pointers to objects a la c++ Smile

Hope this helps.

Gurgs

Grip->Config->Rip->Ripper->

Rip file format -> ~/MyDocuments/Music/mp3/%A/%d/%n.wav

Grip->Config->Encode->Encoder->

Encoder drop down combo box has -> bladeenc
Encoder executable -> /usr/bin/bladeenc
Encoder command-line -> -%b -QUIT %w %m
Encode file extension -> mp3
Encode file format -> ~/MyDocuments/Music/mp3/%A/%d/%n.%x

Grip->Config->Encode->Options

M3U file format -> ~/MyDocuments/Music/mp3/%A-%d.m3u
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks - I only just edited my post adding the last paragraphs about saying I would look at it more closely... this is going to help tremendously!

I have to rush in to school right now, but thanks and I'll let you know how it works out.

P.S: I can do ogg in BladeEnc already - does it actually do mp3 as well? (I need mp3 so the file can go into a hardware mp3 player)

Last edited by Lancer on Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Lancer wrote:

Surely someone out there... uses lame to make mp3 through grip... and can say what the options should be?

Indeed, but some of us have only just got home from work.

Encoder executable: /usr/bin/lame
Encoder command line: -h -b %b %w %m
Encode file format: ~/mp3/%A/%d/%n.%x

but of course, if you don't want them in a directory called mp3, then you need to change the first bit to your desired location.
Gordon
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

Hi Lancer,

Yes, bladeenc does do mp3 as well. I didn't know it would also do ogg !

Gurgs
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grip options for MP3 Reply with quote

I know you are using GNOME, but can you also install KDE, not for the desktop if you prefer GNOME, but for some of its elements. Setting up a Twin-pane Konqueror is, in my opinion, the simplest way to rip CDs. CDs are displayed as a folder containing all the wav tracks, with subfolders showing ogg, mp3 and flac versions. It's just a simple case then of drag and drop.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: