Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenhorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am not sure how to fix a recurring problem with those distros that I have installed into my computer. I have a Gigabyte m/b - GA-8IK1100 (integrated sound & network), with 512MB dual channel DDR333, 160GB Seagate HD and 20GB Seagate HD, NVidia MX400. I use it for normal programming and adminstration usage.

On my main HD, I have Mandrake 10.1 (works wonderfully) and XP. I use XP for some CAD application. Since Knoppix 4.0 (running live), FC4 and SUSE 10.0 these distros has never worked more than 2 minutes. They installed OK (on the 20GB HD), boot up OK and then after using it (keyboard or mouse), it will hang after 1-2 minutes. They continue to work OK if no keyboard or mouse intervention occurs. Once they are used, the recurring problem would occur. I have installed tried installing them in 2 combinations:

1. / (19GB) & swap (1GB)
2. / (10GB), /boot (1GB), /home (8GB) and /home (1GB)

With latest SUSE 10.0 OSS, it works OK when I use Internet, Applications, or Games. Once the minute or 2 is up, it hangs and require a hard reset. Just to ensure it is not a HD problem, I have tried it with smaller and bigger HD. Same problem would be seen.

Strangely Debian 3.1 works. I am not sure if this is a hardware problem, maybe with the dual channel memory timing.

Has anyone seen such problem occuring before? I want to fix this problem and your advise would be helpful. I appreciate any comments.

Thanks
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: RE: Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage Reply with quote

This sounds very similar to the problems I had when I first installed SuSE 9.2 on my AMD-64 box... the problem is with the power management stuff.
Try adding acpi=off to your boot parameters and see if that cures it - it did for me.

Nigel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: