For those about to order broadband....STOP!

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

For those about to order broadband....STOP!

Postby kevanf1 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:28 pm

If anybody is thinking of ordering broadband via a BT line (not cable) be warned :!: You may have a long wait.

I was listening to a local BBC radio station this morning when a caller rang in. The caller lives in my village so my ears immediately pricked up. This caller had ordered broadband a few weeks ago but it had not been activated. Apparently he has been told that the local exchange is now full and BT cannot give him a date when his line will converted to broadband (DSL). He has been told that there are 5,000 people in the same situation. I do not know if this figure of 5,000 is local or national. However, if you are thinking of getting broadband it may be worthwhile contacting BT before you sign any contracts. This would affect any ISP who supplies broadband through the BT local loop so NTL and Telewest cable customers would not be involved (nor those using the Kingston network).
kevanf1
LXF regular

RE: For those about to order broadband....STOP!

Postby A-Wing » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:11 pm

It will be 5000 nationwide, once they hit the limit of the exchange new equipment needs installing in that exchange. The wait for this shouldn't be too long but I believe SDSL convertions are taking priority. There is a website which tells you which exchanges are full and when they are getting upgraded but I don't have the link to hand.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:24 pm

A-Wing: You may be thinking of Samknows, although it is usually a month or two out of date on a lot of data.
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:13 pm

Samknows is the one :) I quit the ISP I worked for a couple of weeks ago and had to remove all related data so most of my ISP links are gone :)
Yes, it can be quite out of date, but at least it gives you an idea of the areas affected or about to be. No problem here though, phone lines are a new invention to most people round here (although we do have ADSL) ;)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Return to Announcements