Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacment
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob/80386

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacment Reply with quote

I use Windows, Mac OS and Linux, in experience with linux I found that windows and Mac OS provide more functionanlity but linux is more stable than windows.

When will hardware and software comapnies start making drivers and software that work natively with linux rather than using programs like wine, crossover office and ndiswrapper? Question

for example I can plug my Phillips HDD070/05 into windows and it recognizes it immediately, asking for drivers.

With linux this doesn't happen, all it does is mount the device, this player needs software like Musicmatch or Phillips DMM to upload songs. Why can't vendors of hardware and software provide compatibilty with linux right out the box, without having to make your own program
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: RE: Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacment Reply with quote

I think the problem you have identified is more to do with Hardware vendors than Linux, seems odd that you have to have the software, have you tried copying files to the mount point? My Nomad Muvo TX supposedy had to be done through their software, but I can quite happily copy the files from the command line and it will play them.
The more popular Linux gets, the more likely it is that Hardware vendors will create software for Linux, gaving said that from my experience of Linux drivers released by both lexmark and ATI Im not 100% convinced that its necessarily a good thing. The Lexmark printer drivers were released in rpm format, which not every distro accepts, this in turn when you convert it to a tarball contains an installation script that only seems to run on Red Hat Enterprise. As for the ATI drivers, I went straight back to the defualt ones in the kernel.

When Hardware vendors start creating good, stable, well tested drivers for linux then it will be a great step forward, for now Im perfectly happy to create my own, or use one that someone else has created
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacment Reply with quote

What distro do you use Shifty? The latest ATI drivers worked just fine for me on Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS. It makes things so much easier. Like VMware Full screen and great looking Quake4. ATI is getting better no doubt about it. Intel also annouced just recently that they are going to start writing Linux drivers. The future is bright for now I wonder what will happen when vista is released.....

Zeb
lurgee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacment Reply with quote

ZebCarnell wrote:
The future is bright for now I wonder what will happen when vista is released.....

People will realise that a glass can be half full or half empty, but Vista is just half finished!
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lolz. Half started sounds less urgent I think but then thats not proper english
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo, depends which card you are using as well, Im still using the good old Rage 128 all in wonder. Has to be said their drivers have improved, but I still find that X seems to be far more stable without ATIs contributions. It is more than possible its a symptom of a different problem, but sometimes you just cant find the time to look Sad

As for knocking Vista, Shame on you! Dont you realise it will bring people all over the world closer together? Yes thats right, once more Malware writers the world round will get together and write programs to trash the filesystem Twisted Evil

Seriously though, i can't wiat until Vista comes out, look at the boost in the numbe rof Linux users since XP (and especially XPSP2) came out, think what Vista will do for us Wink [/list]
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right Razz XP gave me a helping hand to use Linux.

I said "I wonder" cause we don't really know.

I've been into security and pentesting for a long while now and I'm not going to sit back when vista comes out. The new WinFS that gets released after vista should be interesting Razz along with new products from Windows Live.

Can't wait.

Zeb
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I am planning to obtain a copy of Vista to play about with. It should be quite good fun, I want to see if they have fixed a couple of security holes that have been around since Win 2k. Of course once I am done with it, Ill either ebay it or destroy it depending on how I obtained it Wink
emyr42
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Vista Beta uses WinFS? Maybe it's an opportunity for some early reverse-engineering... Wink
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No its doesn't.
Even the final release wont have it. It comes out after Vista cause they reckon it wouldnt make the cut. But there will be plenty of other things to work with.

Zeb
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be good fun I have to say, should open a pool on whether Vista SP2 (if there is one) has the effect that XP SP2 did
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the question at the top:

Will linux ever be a feasable MS Windows replacement?

It already is! Thanks to the new Distrowatch column in LXF76 (mine just arrived) the user-friendly, live-CD distros, Mepis and PCLinuxOS get an airing this month. In terms of making it easier for newcomers, these two have raised the bar. And as a PCLinuxOS user, I am happy to see that Mepis appears to have got its upgrade path sorted out. Now we have two real alternatives for the first-timer, which are also great for the more experienced home user.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
phorneker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am already seeing evidence of Linux being a MS desktop replacement.

First, the state where I live is testing Linspire in select high schools as part of its Indiana Access program. Replacing Window$ with Linspire is one of the better decisions our state governor has made in recent days.

Second, the local Best Buy is now stocking boxed sets of Linspire and SuSE 9.3 Professional distributions on their shelves for the same price as XP Home Edition upgrade ($99.00 US), and with just as many copies of each distribution placed next to the XP Home Edition.

Across the street at the same shopping complex, the local Barnes and Noble carries all the Linux magazines (including this one), and a plentiful selection of Linux books.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that, Ive noticed that PC World have started stocking vast amounts of both SUSE and Mandriva. Previously I would rather travel miles to buy from somewhere else but they seem to be redeeming themselves. Well except for that advert where the assitant calls a 40GB drive huge Confused mind you I suppose she could really turn round and say it was quite small by todays standards could she? or is that just my standards?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is huge if all you're storing is text files Smile

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: