LXF 76 is here!

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 76 is here!

Postby ladi » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:51 pm

Just got my DVD edition, and was pleased to see it has Slackware 10.2 on it.. :-D
I shall be running that in parallel with my Zenwalk 2.01 install. Thankfully, it's quite easy to get them to share a home partition, so I am quite looking forward to installing it.

I must say I was a bit grumpy to see articles on setting up an ATI/nvidia card and wireless networks, just after I had spent countless hours getting my system running properly. Still, it's nice to know that the world does not revolve around me!

Fantastic treat of software, and come to think of it, I don't remember an issue that had so many games reviewed or on the disc!

I think I will be one happy reader this month! Keep up the good work!
ladi
LXF regular

RE: LXF 76 is here!

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 pm

ohh...me me me ;)

My first article :D

Jo
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby jdtate101 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 pm

Nods at yonder elf maiden..
Ubuntu Edgy & Beryl on:

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

Postby jdtate101 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 pm

I would love to write an article, but the stuff I do isn't that interesting really., just fibre channel storage and SAN networks....not the sort of thing that would interest the "Average Joe" !!! Although they do use embedded Linux (NetBSD) as the main OS.....you can checkout the products here:
www.brocade.com :wink:
Ubuntu Edgy & Beryl on:

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:44 am

he he, I would also love to write an article, but my English plain sucks! I skipped most of my English lessons in school and just managed to scrape a C! God knows how I managed to at least "pass", I was honestly expecting a U :D
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby ladi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 am

No excuse, mate!

M$ Word will check your spelling and grammar. OOo Wriiter probably does as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't know as I don't use it because of its (lack of) speed.

At least you've learnt that it's not a good idea to skip English lessons if you plan on becoming a writer! :wink:
ladi
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:52 am

Cool, glad you like :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: LXF 76 is here!

Postby emyr42 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:40 pm

ladi wrote:No excuse, mate!

M$ Word will check your spelling and grammar. OOo Wriiter probably does as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't know as I don't use it because of its (lack of) speed.

At least you've learnt that it's not a good idea to skip English lessons if you plan on becoming a writer! :wink:

Dirty boy!

For this I'd use LaTeX, HTML, or RTF...
OpenSUSE 10.2, WinXPHome
AMD Sempron 2400, 512MB DDR333, Twin 60GB Deathstars
emyr42
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 am

emyr42 wrote:Dirty boy!

For this I'd use LaTeX, HTML, or RTF...

RTF? tut, tut. Isn't that developed by Micro$oft? :roll: surely you mean Open Document Format? :wink:

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 am

ladi wrote:M$ Word will check your spelling and grammar. OOo Wriiter probably does as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't know as I don't use it because of its (lack of) speed.

Grammar checkers are only useful if you have a good grasp of grammar yourself. They check for stupid mistakes, but they won't turned poorly written text into breathless prose.

OOo doesn't have a grammar checker, probably because it would have taken the startup time for OOo beyond the boot time for the distro running it. Abiword has one.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here!

Postby ladi » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:04 am

nelz wrote:
OOo doesn't have a grammar checker, probably because it would have taken the startup time for OOo beyond the boot time for the distro running it. Abiword has one.

Ouch! that hurt! :-D

Come on, OOo does have some good things going for it, doesn't it?! :-)

Seriously though, that's one of the reasons I was a bit miffed when Zenwalk 2.01 chucked Gnumeric and Abiword in favour of OOo. The argument was that you could always download those two from the repositories, and they are much smaller. I reckon if we took a poll, as evidenced by the spreadsheet review in LXF76, you would find that Gnumeric is more popular than OOo Calc. I would even stick my neck out and venture the same in the case of Abiword vs OOo Writer.
ladi
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here!

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 am

ladi wrote:Come on, OOo does have some good things going for it, doesn't it?! :-)

Yes, you get plenty of exercise while pacing up and down, waiting for it to load :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here!

Postby spottedcat » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 am

As a writer only needing fairly basic formatting facilities, I probably use a zillionth part of the features of OOo, but I do use OOo in preference to Abiword. Why? The autocorrect feature. As a crappy typist I find it invaluable. As far as the load time of OOo is concerned, that's not a problem for me. I use the time to think about what I am going to write, or have a couple of coffees and a sandwich - all good stimulation for the brain.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Dave2 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm

There is a grammar checker available for use with OOo: http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/ . I've not used it though, so can't comment on how good it is.
Bloat. The crappiest Perl script in the world? You decide!
Dave2

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm

OOo takes long enough to load on my (fairly high spec) machine for me to go downstairs and make a cup of tea, then I can still get upstairs and decide which music to have running in the background.
Abiword on the other hand, out of habit I started the application, went to get up to make the tea and before my ass had left the seat it was open.
Having said that if I had a choice between OOo or Ms Office it would be OOo even if OOo were as proprietary as Office
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Announcements