Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LXF 76 is here!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

Just got my DVD edition, and was pleased to see it has Slackware 10.2 on it.. Very Happy
I shall be running that in parallel with my Zenwalk 2.01 install. Thankfully, it's quite easy to get them to share a home partition, so I am quite looking forward to installing it.

I must say I was a bit grumpy to see articles on setting up an ATI/nvidia card and wireless networks, just after I had spent countless hours getting my system running properly. Still, it's nice to know that the world does not revolve around me!

Fantastic treat of software, and come to think of it, I don't remember an issue that had so many games reviewed or on the disc!

I think I will be one happy reader this month! Keep up the good work!
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

ohh...me me me Wink

My first article Very Happy

Jo

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com
jdtate101
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

Nods at yonder elf maiden..

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
jdtate101
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

I would love to write an article, but the stuff I do isn't that interesting really., just fibre channel storage and SAN networks....not the sort of thing that would interest the "Average Joe" !!! Although they do use embedded Linux (NetBSD) as the main OS.....you can checkout the products here:
www.brocade.com Wink

AMD X2 4800+
4GB Corsair TWINX RAM
1.2TB RAID0 SATA2 (3ware RAID)
2 x Seagate 400GB USB2
Dual Layer DVD-RW
Nvidia 7800GT
2 x Viewsonic VP201b TFT
Iomega Rev Internal
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

he he, I would also love to write an article, but my English plain sucks! I skipped most of my English lessons in school and just managed to scrape a C! God knows how I managed to at least "pass", I was honestly expecting a U Very Happy
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

No excuse, mate!

M$ Word will check your spelling and grammar. OOo Wriiter probably does as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't know as I don't use it because of its (lack of) speed.

At least you've learnt that it's not a good idea to skip English lessons if you plan on becoming a writer! Wink
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

Cool, glad you like Smile

M
emyr42
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

ladi wrote:
No excuse, mate!

M$ Word will check your spelling and grammar. OOo Wriiter probably does as good a job, if not better. I wouldn't know as I don't use it because of its (lack of) speed.

At least you've learnt that it's not a good idea to skip English lessons if you plan on becoming a writer! Wink

Dirty boy!

For this I'd use LaTeX, HTML, or RTF...
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

emyr42 wrote:

Dirty boy!

For this I'd use LaTeX, HTML, or RTF...

RTF? tut, tut. Isn't that developed by Micro$oft? Rolling Eyes surely you mean Open Document Format? Wink

Dave.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

ladi wrote:

Grammar checkers are only useful if you have a good grasp of grammar yourself. They check for stupid mistakes, but they won't turned poorly written text into breathless prose.

OOo doesn't have a grammar checker, probably because it would have taken the startup time for OOo beyond the boot time for the distro running it. Abiword has one.
ladi
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
Quote:

OOo doesn't have a grammar checker, probably because it would have taken the startup time for OOo beyond the boot time for the distro running it. Abiword has one.

Ouch! that hurt! Very Happy

Come on, OOo does have some good things going for it, doesn't it?! Smile

Seriously though, that's one of the reasons I was a bit miffed when Zenwalk 2.01 chucked Gnumeric and Abiword in favour of OOo. The argument was that you could always download those two from the repositories, and they are much smaller. I reckon if we took a poll, as evidenced by the spreadsheet review in LXF76, you would find that Gnumeric is more popular than OOo Calc. I would even stick my neck out and venture the same in the case of Abiword vs OOo Writer.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

ladi wrote:
Come on, OOo does have some good things going for it, doesn't it?! Smile

Yes, you get plenty of exercise while pacing up and down, waiting for it to load Smile
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

As a writer only needing fairly basic formatting facilities, I probably use a zillionth part of the features of OOo, but I do use OOo in preference to Abiword. Why? The autocorrect feature. As a crappy typist I find it invaluable. As far as the load time of OOo is concerned, that's not a problem for me. I use the time to think about what I am going to write, or have a couple of coffees and a sandwich - all good stimulation for the brain.
Dave2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

There is a grammar checker available for use with OOo: http://www.danielnaber.de/languagetool/ . I've not used it though, so can't comment on how good it is.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: LXF 76 is here! Reply with quote

OOo takes long enough to load on my (fairly high spec) machine for me to go downstairs and make a cup of tea, then I can still get upstairs and decide which music to have running in the background.
Abiword on the other hand, out of habit I started the application, went to get up to make the tea and before my ass had left the seat it was open.
Having said that if I had a choice between OOo or Ms Office it would be OOo even if OOo were as proprietary as Office
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: