Acer flatscreen AL511

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Acer flatscreen AL511

Postby Lancer » Sun May 01, 2005 2:01 am

I'm setting up a computer for a complete newbie (using Fedora Core 2) and couriering it to them accross the country. The box has an Nvidia pro card and they have told me their screen is an ACER AL511 flatscreen.

Basically, if I set up the monitor etc to suit my hardware, a "detected hardware" change at their end will effectively uninstall Nvidia drivers. I therefore want to set the monitor up to correct settings for tehir monitor just before sh8ipping the box off to them, so it will just work straight away to their system.

Problem: Under display config, there are lots of Acer monitors, but no AL511. I know that they are likely cross compatable, but some will not be, and I don't want to pick the wrong one in it causes grief to this complete newbie at the other end. I certainly don't want it to run diagonal lines, bad flicker or too low res for their hardware.

Anyone else here using Fedora Linux with an Acer AL511 ? If so, can you please let me know which monitor is chosen in your display hardware settings?
Lancer
LXF regular

RE: Acer flatscreen AL511

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun May 01, 2005 8:24 am

Is that flatscreen as in flatscreen CRT or as in TFT?!? I have heard people call TFT's flat screens....
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Sun May 01, 2005 8:49 am

I wouldn't know that, given that I haven't seen it. I've only ever emailed and a few times actually 'phoned this guy some time back (pricey toll call). A google on ACER 511 gives me this model: http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_AL51 ... 7/p/234348
...which is not listed among the ones in Display options (hence - who else using Fedora knows the equivalent?)

If I actually had one here it would be a non-issue. I'd pick one and check. However, without this guy knowing anything about Linux yet (not even VI) he won't likely be ablee to configure it if it bawks at wrong screen settings and lands him in console.

Postby Lancer » Sun May 01, 2005 8:51 am

Sorry - that last post was me, not an anonymous 'guest'.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Sun May 01, 2005 10:09 am

Well if its an LCD you don't have to worry about refresher rate etc etc like you posted above. When I swapped my partner over from a sony flat crt to his dabsvalue tft, we didn't have to change anything!! But that was on MDK10.1...

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun May 01, 2005 10:10 am

lol, just did the same as you!!

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Lancer » Sun May 01, 2005 10:25 am

:D Yeah. I configured to to "generic LCD" and noticed it only actually asked further about raw screen res (sheesh - back in days or Red Hat 5 when I started it asked EVERYTHING - back then getting X to work at all was an achievement and vi was "normal use" of a computer). Fingers crossed that it's going to "just work" at the other end :)
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun May 01, 2005 10:42 am

I muist add at work I had to change the refresher rate from 85 to 75, so I would just in case change this down...as tfts don't need high refresher rates..

linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 12:41 pm

I'm using an Acer 711 at home, with an Nvidia driver, on FC3. I'd say that's a pretty close match. I'll check when I get home and post my xorg.conf, and/or check the display in the display settings dialogue

Postby brunson » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:18 pm

I'm having problems with a new ACER AL1921 and xorg.

With both the builtin ATI Rage and an nVidia MX 4000 I get my screen shifted to the right almost half way across the screen. The horizontal positioning can't get it all the way back, even in conjunction with xvidtune shifting. It's odd because if I turn the monitor off, then on, it will correctly center for a split second, then the "auto optimizer" seems to kick in and shift the video. I can't display anything above 800x600 centered and that's not even reliable, 640x480 is the only thing that works.

If you have a working config for an ACER LCD, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,
e.
brunson

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:23 pm

download the manual for the monitor from www.acer.co.uk which should have the correct refresh rates...

Return to Help!