Music Collection

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Music Collection

Postby Hambo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:43 am

Hey everyone.

I just installed Fedore core 4 on my comp today. Im a complete noobie to Linux (I gotta say though, I'm impressed allready!) and I wanted to know if I could get my mp3 collection off the Windows partition on my hard drive and put it on the Linux partition. Would it be compatible with Linux? And if so, how do I go about copying it over...the Windows partition doesn't seem to show up in the file explorer.

Thanks in advance.

Hambo
Hambo

RE: Music Collection

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:33 pm

First thing is what file system was windows using? if it was NTFS then you need an additional module. Once its copied over then yes your Mp3s will play quite happily.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Hambo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:19 pm

Yes, the Filesystem was NTFS. What module do I have to install?

Thanks!
Hambo

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:31 pm

I may be wrong but I believe you can get it from here http://www.linux-ntfs.org/

Install that and you should be able to read your partition *once you have mounted it*
Ive never quite gotten my head around why Fedora and Red Hat seem to exclude that module as standard.
If you feel confident doing it from source and recompiling your Kernel then I personally would say thats the best way to do it. You may find it easier to use an RPM though, the site should have plenty more information on it
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:46 pm

No, your mp3's are not going to play because Fedora does not ship with mp3 support for "legal" reasons (whatever that means)

Have a look here in order to resolve this.

good luck,

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby Hambo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Okay, thankyou for your help.
Hambo

Re: RE: Music Collection

Postby Hambo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:54 am

Flea wrote:No, your mp3's are not going to play because Fedora does not ship with mp3 support for "legal" reasons (whatever that means)

Have a look here in order to resolve this.

good luck,

Dave.

I read this guide and started the dowload for NTFS reading support with "yum install kernel-module-ntfs-$(uname -r)". Any idea how long this will take on dialup?
Hambo

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:23 am

Really? Fedora core doesn't ship with MP3 support as standard? I never knew that one. Although come to think of it I couldn't play mp3's on Gentoo until I installed mplayer and all its codecs. Odd.....

The process could take a while on Dialup, If Fedora was able to play Mp3s otb then Id suggest just making a buffer partition for your music, but as you are going to need to get some codec or the other I guess that you may as well get the ntfs module as well.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Re: Music Collection

Postby Marrea » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 pm

I wanted to know if I could get my mp3 collection off the Windows partition on my hard drive and put it on the Linux partition. Hambo

Depending on how large the collection is, wouldn't the easiest thing be just to copy it from Windows onto a CD (assuming a CD burner is available) and then copy onto Linux from the CD? Obviously still need to download the necessary plugins onto Fedora to enable playback, though.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:31 pm

wouldn't the easiest thing be just to copy it from Windows onto a CD (assuming a CD burner is available) and then copy onto Linux from the CD?

you know what? You've got a point there. Why didnt I think of that lol Although in fairness if you do it that way you will miss out on all the fun that fiddling about is. It is a good idea though, probably better than messing about with the kernel until you are sure you are ready to try that.

Thinking about it I think the issues with fedora and playing MP3 are probably something to do with Red Hat not wanting to buy a license from the Fraunhouer institute. Who knows?
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Dave2 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:43 pm

shifty_ben wrote:Thinking about it I think the issues with fedora and playing MP3 are probably something to do with Red Hat not wanting to buy a license from the Fraunhouer institute. Who knows?

Would they even licence OSS? Still, despite that, spending $50k on a project which makes them no money directly when the issue can be worked around probably isn't in RedHat's best interests, so I'd say that would be it.
Bloat. The crappiest Perl script in the world? You decide!
Dave2

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:38 pm

Dunno if they would or not. This is part of the thing that worries me about this new Software Patents fiasco. Hopefully it can be stopped but I'm not really sure if it can
More on that at
http://benscomputer.no-ip.org
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Hambo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:15 am

Hmmm...I guess i could copy my mp3's over...it's 12GB worth, thats only three DVDs. I didn't have much luck with the NTFS thing I tried to get yum to download...it downloaded a heap of stuff then suddenly ran into some error which I didn't take note of, silly me!!

Of course, the best idea would probably be to just rip all my CD's into Ogg Vorbis format...it would halve the size of my collection most probably.

Hey, I don't suppose if any of you know if I can get my mp3 player to work? It's a Sony Network walkman. I've done some searches on the topic and Sony doesnt support it for linux (surprise surprise!) and I couldn't find a program designed to work with it on Linux. Could you mount it somehow? The computer recognizes the hardware, it comes up as "Sony NWWN Network Walkman 512M".

If I could just get my music figured out I'd quite happily do away with Windows alltogether... after three days of using Fedora i've popped into Windows once to burn some files off for someone.
Hambo

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 am

I assume the mp3 player is usb? try this as root

mkdir /mnt/mp3
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/mp3
ls /mnt/mp3

if this works then try whacking some music on there, unmount and check the walkman will play the files. If all is well then add an entry to /etc/fstab to make it easier. A lot of these mp3 players come with instructions saying only works with our software and it just isnt true.

Ripping into Ogg is a good idea, unless you want to then play them on your mp3 player. I am planning to buy one that supports oggs, but havent found one that meets my financial needs yet :D
If you have a USB harddrive, or one you can borrow it would speed up the copying of the music
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Hambo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 am

Thanks for all the help guys, it's really made things work!

Shifty_ben, i just realized something with my mp3 player - it uses ATRAC format only so i reckon that pretty much blows a hole right through the idea of being able to use it with linux.

I just got my NTFS stuff to work. I mounted my windows partition okay and copied all my music over! But then I ran into one last little hitch...PERMISSIONS!

I can only mount the windows partition as root and only copy stuff off it as root, and therefore only play the mp3's as root. Is there some easy way to set the owner of the all the files as me? And change all the permissions so i can move and rename the files as me? I could go through EVERY single file and set the permissions manually as root but its way too many files to be doing that!

I'm supposing theres an easy way to do this from the terminal, just to get it to start at the music directory and go through changing the permissions of every file in every sub-directory. The files are in a structure like this: Music/Artist Name/Album/Track 1.mp3
I'm not sure if that makes it harder or not... any ideas what command to use?
Hambo

Next

Return to Help!